43 - The Seed Is Sown

The purpose of the king's tour was for a while closely guarded, yet this knowledge nonetheless found its way to Karvalo at Pearmol. He deemed the whole affair to be very iffy indeed, and he therefore summoned a meeting of his allies to discuss the matter. They convened on the day of the summer lights at a town called Oyfnawl, in the south-western portion of his domain, and those in attendance were as follows, in the conventional order: Karvalo, Lord of Pearmol; Yarnaga, Lord of Syornes; Ewglena, Lord of Knessyar; and Awldano, Lord of Samnew. They were also joined by a man named Rodholo, who was the steward of Oyfnawl, and whom Karvalo hoped would soon become its lord, but more will be said of him in due course. Together they resolved to oppose the king, just as they had his brother three years prior.

'But do not let this opposition be grounds for poor hospitality,' said Karvalo. 'He will surely visit us all, begging for our support. We must each feed him well and keep him warm, then send him on his way. After all, Rodholo here must have his writ.'

This they all agreed, and after they had shared in the autumn feast the next day, they went home.

A short while after his return to Samnew, Awldano summoned a meeting of his own, attended by the foremost members of his retinue. They were Thalo, Ormana, Odwala, Foyva, Oze, and Eyge. Awldano told them about the king's tour, and that he and his allies had agreed not to support his expedition into Norlonn.

'We should expect the king to visit,' he said, 'though just when, I cannot say. As it stands, he has no legal right to draft my retinue into this matter against my will, and thus he shall not. I have chosen to forewarn you all today, that when the time comes, we can be as one.'

Then Awldano asked them to state their understanding. Each of Ormana, Odwala, Foyva, and Eyge said they understood, but Thalo and Oze were more hesitant.

'If this is what you mean to do,' said Oze, 'then I suppose I should get behind it. But know, Awldano, that if ever you change your mind, your foremost warrior stands ready to fight.'

Awldano thanked Oze for their get-up-and-go, but he assured them his mind would not soon be changed.

Thalo was the last to speak, saying, 'Tell me, Awldano, who decided this? Did you choose to refuse the king, or did your father choose for you?'

'We decided this jointly,' said Awldano, 'as peers and allies.'

'Peers and allies? Believe that if you wish, but that is not the nature of your relationship. Karvalo is a shrewd and callous man. He sees in people only what he can get out of them, and in you he sees a dutiful son too soft to defy him. I have suffered this dishonour as best I can, but my patience is now wearing thin.'

Awldano shook his head, and after a moment, he said, 'And what would you have me do, then?'

'Whatever you like. There is more for you—more for us—than to be your father's lackeys. I am willing to fight for you, for your honour, and for your glory.'

'And I am grateful for your willingness, but my decision has been made. Tell me you understand, Thalo, and we can be done here.'

So the room fell silent, all eyes upon Thalo, awaiting his response. He offered none and left with a huff.

'I will go to him,' said Ormana.

'No,' said Awldano. 'This is our quarrel, and we two shall settle it.'

'Awldano, do not mistake my honesty for discourtesy, but I daresay you two will settle nothing. Thalo is much too stubborn, and you are much too patient.'

Without another word, Awldano nodded his assent, and Ormana left the room. Once she had gone, he said, 'I am very sorry about all that,' and he adjourned the meeting.