Chapter 8: The Sorting

Professor McGonagall was leading the amazed and awe-struck first years through to the front of the entrance hall. The three triplets were looking as worried as ever when she placed a rather old looking hat on a stool for the sorting. The sorting hat immediately broke out into a song. 

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.
You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.
There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So, try me on and I will tell you.
Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true.
And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means.
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

As the song ended, the hat went still, and Professor McGonagall started reading out the names of the students to be sorted. As each student was sorted, this only increased the tension. Eventually Harry's name was called after Ron was sorted into Gryffindor. 

"Harry Potter". As Harry's name was being called, heads had turned his direction abruptly and an anticipating silence ran through the hall as he sat there muttering something to the hat. 

"GRYFFINDOR!" 

"Max Potter". Again, heads had turned towards his direction as he walked up towards the sorting hat. Again, the sorting hat had taken a while to make their decision. 

"GRYFFINDOR!" 

"Sierra Potter". This time, as heads turned towards Sierra, she noticed some of the guys were looking at her strangely. They were gaping at her with their mouths dangling open. Sierra felt a little uncomfortable at this, for she did not know how to tell them to stop staring at her. She also noticed the sorting hat took quite a while to sort her. The hat nearly sorted her into Hufflepuff.  As the sorting hat sorted her into Gryffindor, she sat down next to her brothers. All around, the guys just sat transfixed at the sight of her. 

"Why are they looking at me like that?" She asked her brothers. Both Harry and Max shrugged and did not know what to say. To make matters even worse, Ron was also staring at her transfixed. Hermione had to slap him on the back with a book to get him to stop. 

"Will. You. Stop. Staring. She's feeling uncomfortable", she told the redheaded boy, in between hitting him with a book. Sierra flashed a quick smile to show her gratitude before Dumbledore stood up. 

"I will just be saying a few words. Nitwit, Blubber, oddment, tweak". He said, before sitting back down. At this the tables suddenly filled with food, and everyone tucked in and helped themselves. Hermione was a little revolted at Ron, Max, Harry and Sierra because they were eating so fast. 

"We don't get fed much at home, so were making the most of this", Sierra said pointing to the food. 

"Yes, I can see that", Hermione replied eyeing Ron who was eating two drumsticks at the same time. 

"Hermione, we are not related to Ron. Don't assume because were all redheads", Sierra assured her friend. At this Ron had suddenly looked up, earning an eyeroll from Hermione. 

"What do you mean not related? Of course, were related. Your part of the Weasley clan now. I mean your all redheads". This sent another eyeroll towards Ron's direction from Hermione. Sierra suddenly looked at the Slytherin table and she and Draco eyed each other and smiled. 

"Why are you looking at the Slytherin table?" Harry had suddenly asked making Sierra jump out of her trance. Sierra at first looked taken aback, the four were staring at her intensely waiting for an answer, while Ron still sat transfixed at her sight. 

"Oh, um... just looking around for Draco", Sierra replied lamely. At this Harry went back to eating and Max stared at her intensely before eating. When dinner and desert was finally over, Dumbledore got up, made a few small announcements and sent them off to their quarters with the prefects. 

When they were in the common room, the six of them sat around the fire and talked about their plans for the year. Hermione, of course was just going to focus on her classes and perhaps do some "light reading". 

"Oh, come on Hermione, wouldn't it be so cool if you and I could both join the dance club? Come on, or perhaps the Quidditch team", Sierra asked her bushy haired friend. Hermione looked at her disbelievingly. 

"Sierra! Firsts years are not permitted to own their own broom. You know that! And I am not a dancer", Hermione said abruptly. Sierra rolled her eyes. Ron spoke up. 

"What about wizards' chess, or gobstones", Ron suggested. Reluctantly, Hermione had agreed to do wizards chess with Ron, but he had to go easy on her, for she wasn't even good at muggle chess. 

They all talked for a bit more, till the prefects came around to tell them to get to bed and sleep. Hermione and Sierra went up to their dorm, while Harry, Max, Neville and Ron went into theirs. When Hermione and Sierra climbed into their room, they saw two more girls sitting there. One had curly, blonde hair and had a pink hair band on. The other had black hair and brown skin. They were both sitting on a bed and whispering to each other. The four quickly introduced themselves and started chatting about their lives before coming to Hogwarts. 

It turned out Lavender was very interested in the idea of reading tea leaves and crystal balls. She was very enthusiastic when Sierra told her she was a seer. Parvati was Indian and she had a twin in Ravenclaw. Sierra didn't talk much about the Dursleys, but she did mention that her cousin was the same age as her but extremely fat. After much chatting and gossiping (much to Sierra's dislike), they finally got into their beds and went to sleep. As they drifted off to sleep, Sierra couldn't help but feel this was going to be a great year.