Q&A + Fun Facts + Acknowledgements

1) What inspired you to write 'Hospital Obstacle'?

I got inspiration when I read 'What If It's Us' by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera. I liked the format (switching from perspectives) and one of the main characters was writing a story on Wattpad! So I thought, why not write my own novel? The hospital theme was inspired by the British show 'Operation Ouch!' (my favourite TV show!).

2) How did you come up with the characters' names?

I thought it would be pretty hilarious if their names were puns. I experimented with names to see if they would sound like medical conditions. 'Arthur Ritis' was obvious, 'Ayden Achdee' took some creativity, 'Carla Blynd' was almost 'Clara Blind' but I changed it at the last second (it sounds more like 'colourblind', and I didn't want to make her surname literally 'Blind') and 'Dia Betes' is spelt correctly but 'Dia' is pronounced 'Dee-ah'. As for the antagonists, their names were easier to figure out.

Here's a full coloured version of them.

3) How do you feel after writing 'Hospital Obtacle' - friend

Honestly, I felt like a massive relief was lifted off my shoulders! I am proud of myself for having the will to finish something big that I've started, but I am kind of disappointed that it's pretty short for a novel. I hope I'll be able to hold a hard-copy of this book in my hands!

4) How did you come up with the design of the characters?

I kind of just made up the appearance of characters as I wrote the story. The appearances didn't take long to draw. The characters kind of look like they're drawn on paper, but I drew them on ibis Paint X using a pencil font. I might add necks and ears to my future characters...

5) Who's your favourite character? 

Haha, that's hard to choose. I think probably Dia, because she's my favourite to draw and reminds me of peace and meditation. My second favourite to draw is Ayden, because his hair is so satisfying to draw. For the antagonists, Kandi is my favourite to draw, because although she has the most detail, it's fun to draw her cute outfit.

Here's my favourite picture of Dia (I know I forgot to draw her sleeves).

6) Are you planning to write another book/sequel?

Unfortunately, I will not be writing a sequel to 'Hospital Obstacle'. But I will plan on another story with different characters and setting! Stay tuned!

-RightHandedPen

FUN FACTS

Ayden's school uniform is based on a real school's uniform.

Some diabetics are actually required to consume some sort of sugar if their glucose level gets too low. 

Duncan Donas wears a tall chef's hat to signify his status as a chef (head chef).

Hemophobia is the fear of blood, which is what Kandi Caine has.

Darling Harbour is a real place in Sydney and Blackfarms Children's Centre is based on a children's centre.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

I don't have a lot of people to thank, but I will thank everyone who supported me throughout my story. Thank you to:

Myself, because I motivated myself to do something I've never done before. I'm proud of myself for not giving up and expressing myself.

My mum, for supporting my creative side and giving me the love and support I need.

A friend, for supporting my story from the start and telling me not to rush.

Wattpad, for letting me publish my story here.

-RightHandedPen