The Poison Left Unpicked

When you woke up, there was quite an entertaining sight to behold.

James had his back against the door, and Totodile stood on the other side of the bed, separating you from him. He must have walked in while you were sleeping. Totodile was proving to be very reliable.

James sighed in relief when he saw that you were finally awake.

You smirked. "Oh, hi James. Fancy seeing you here."

"How about you take this small friend-shaped beast away from me before it crushes me into a neat pile? Then maybe I could agree with you. Because I am not fancying this current situation that you've put me in!!"

"That I've put you in? You're the one who has seemed to have intruded into my room while I was sleeping."

"Maybe you're right, but I'd still rather not get crushed!"

You sighed. "Fiiiiine..." You picked up Totodile by both of his sides and placed him on the other side of the bed where you were. "No being snappy-happy. Not yet."

Totodile whined, "Toto! Totodile!" He began chewing on the blankets.

"I know, I don't have anything for you to chew on anymore. I wonder who's fault that is."

Totodile glared at James again.

James whimpered and shot both of his hands up. "I'm not the one at fault! I didn't touch a single one of your things."

"But I'm sure you watched as my bag was emptied. Item by item, until all that was left was my hopes of succeeding. And you spilled it out with the lint."

"I-"

"No no, that you did. Because you're a part of this trio. I'm only the lousy plus one to be used and abandoned. Oh, how heartbreaking."

"You're starting to act more like me than I do," James said. "Which means you're most likely going to end up a failure no matter what you try to say to me."

"Thank you."

James looked away, looked up to say something, then looked back away. Then he finally looked up and responded, "I'm too confused to come up with an appropriate response."

"If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance..."

James took a deep breath. "Look. We actually have something important to do for once. And since Jessie is too important herself to go, it's you and me going instead."

"Okay. Elaborate?"

James seemed dissapointed in having to say this next part. "We're going back to Ilex Forest to make sure no pokemon have been harmed by the gas leak. A normal attack would have only affected the targeted pokemon, but since Jessie deliberately made it so the attack functioned on its own..." He sighed and didn't want to finish the thought. "If we do happen to find any hurt pokemon, we'll take them with us and make sure they're in good health before we release them back."

"Okay...and how long will we be doing this for?"

"If we don't find any harmed pokemon, we'll only be there for about half an hour to scope the place. If we do find a harmed pokemon, we'll just capture it, unless the harm is detrimental. In that case, I'll see what I can do with the items Jessie gave me, and then we'll capture it once I've done what I could, as I said. So that would take a few more minutes. I wouldn't say any longer than an hour."

"And what will I be doing here? Why am I-"

"You're going because one---Jessie doesn't want to have to 'deal' with you, as she said to me. Two---Jessie wants me to teach you how to care for pokemon so she doesn't have to 'waste her time' on it. And three---you'll be helping me look for the pokemon. Four eyes is better than two."