𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐃𝐀𝐘

I was by the horses, admiring Brown Jack, Bills horse. He was big and bulky. I gave him pats.

Bill approached me suspiciously. "What the hell are you doing? You've been doing this for the past ten minutes."

"How much you want for this horse?" I continued petting Brown Jack and Bill chuckled. "Not a chance, Juarez."

"I guess i'll have to kill you for him, then." I said and Bill scoffed approaching Brown Jack. "You couldn't handle him anyway, girl." He gave the horse a pat.

"Sure, Bill." I walked away. "I'll give you two some privacy."

"Rosa." Hosea came up to me and I smiled. "Hey, Hosea."

"I was wondering if you can go on a few errands today, seeing as you're not busy." Hosea said and I nodded. "Sure."

"Heres a list of things we need." He handed me a note. "And maybe take Mrs Adler with you. I see you two are now close."

I chuckled pocketing the list. "I will."

"Thank you, my dear." Hosea gave me the money, a pat on the back, and walked away.

I looked over at Jack who was near me. He was drawing on the dirt with a stick. "Hey, Jack." I approached him. "What're you doing?"

"Drawing." He said. I kneeled down and looked at the dirt. I couldn't make a guess on what exactly it was that he was drawing. "What is it?"

"It's a butterfly." Jack told me and I smiled. "Ahh, that's it. It's very beautiful, Jack."

"Thank you, aunt Rosa." He smiled.

I admired him as he played with the dirt. He was such a sweet kid.

"Do you want to draw too?" Jack handed me a stick and I nodded. "Sure."

We drew a little bit and Abigail came up to me. "What're you two doing?" She smiled and Jack looked up at her. "Just playing."

"You know, you really are good with him." Abigail put her hand on my shoulder. Sometimes it felt like Abigail could see right through me. I wonder if she looked at me and just saw someone who was envious of her life.

"Yeah..." I stood up dusting myself off.

"What're your plans for today?" Abigail asked and I shrugged. "Might go with Sadie to the store today. Pick up a couple of things. Why?"

"Could you maybe bring Jack with y'all?" She asked. "It's just- he's been cooped up here for such a long time. Last time that boy went out, it was to go fishing and it didn't end so well."

I thought about it. "Alright, i'm taking Sadie with me though."

"That's more than fine." Abiagail said and I nodded. I looked down at Jack. "Come on, Jack. Let's go into town."

"Okay." He put the stick down and we approached Sadie. She was sitting on her sleeping bag reading a book.

"Would you like to come with me?" I whispered practicing the question. "Would you want to join me?" I repeated the question in a different way.

"Why are you talking to yourself, Aunt Rosa?" Jack looked up at me.

"I'm- i'm not." I approached Sadie and cleared my throat. "Would you like to join me? I'm heading into town to pick up a few things."

Sadie looked up at me and nodded. "Sure." She stood up and walked with me. "Is Jack coming along?"

"Yes, I am." Jack answered and Sadie laughed.