xi. library nooks and crannies

xi | library nooks and crannies

          "𝕸iss Baker." Celeste looked up from her work, a little surprised to find Tom Riddle standing opposite her. "The rest of the library is busy. Do you mind?"

"Of course not." Celeste sighed internally, before moving her books until he could sit opposite her. She had shrugged her robe over the chair, her jumper over the top of that and was dressed in her white shirt. The library was warm, overly so as they were near the fire, and she was appreciating that more so than ever with the stormy November weather.

Riddle followed suit, shrugging his robe off and loosening his tie a little as Celeste followed his pale hands, before scowling to herself. Continuing, she began to flick through her work, noting what needed to be changed and what needed to be added in to make sure that she continued to maintain a ridiculously high grade in her classes.

"Are you doing the potions essay?" Celeste looked up, finding Riddle watching her, an eyebrow cocked. His dark hair was half falling into his face as he watched her.

"Yes."

"What have you said for it?"

"For what? Considering the validity of Golpalott's Third Law?" Celeste checked. Riddle nodded as Celeste reluctantly sighed and started to share her work. She barely liked doing this with Walburga and her friends, to be doing this with Riddle was going against her very nature and her feelings of dislike for the man. "Whilst it is true for some poisons and their antidotes, it is not a universal law for all which means that it should not be kept in potions book or used as a reasoning for the poisons and their antidotes."

"I see. Did you not think of the counterpoint that perhaps all poisons actually follow Golpalott's Law and it is just that we have not worked out what the singular ingredient is for each antidote and poison?" Riddle questioned, as Celeste hummed, shrugged her shoulders and made a note by another one of her points.

"I had, but then I thought that there is too much evidence to disprove this. In the potioneering world, we have already discovered nearly 80-90% of all ingredients used in creating these potions. Whilst it's possible that in the final 10-20%, there's some that might magically help nullify a poison, it is highly unlikely, statistically so." Celeste set her chin in her hand, cocking an eyebrow as she watched the taller prefect. He nodded, albeit a little reluctantly, making a note down.

"Did they teach you this in Beauxbaton?"

"No. My mother was into potions, greatly so." Celeste explained, shrugging. "It is all I've ever known since I was little."

Smiling briefly, and politely, Celeste put her head back down and got back to work, writing the rest of her essay with Riddle. It was silent in the library, and between the pair, the only sounds being the crackling of the open fire and the scribbling of quills on the surface of the parchment.