iii. defence against the dark arts

iii | defence against the dark arts

          𝕮eleste had managed to avoid her dormitory for the better part of a day. She had wanted to look and feel her best, knowing that all of the others would most likely be pure blood, or come from well known names, so it would be for the best. Somehow, Dippet had managed to get a representative from Gringotts to come and speak with her in his office about what to do next and perhaps someone up there was looking out for her, for they had found the Baker vault and she had a key for it.

She didn't know what her grandparents were doing, or if they would notice some money missing from their vault, but Celeste would have to thank them later. Money had been transferred over, documents had been signed and Celeste had found herself with money.

Immediately, she had sent off her measurements for the basics of every pureblood witch's wardrobes. She had ordered her uniform as a priority, getting skirts of the 1940s fashion, button up shirts, Slytherin ties and robes, black shoes, a long coat for the Winter months, a scarf, a hat or two, gloves and heels (she had managed to sneak a look at one of her roommates shoes and seen heels, so could only assume she would have to be the same). Dippet had provided her with the list, and it did suggest some things that Celeste refused immediately on principal.

Following up, she then had to buy all of her textbooks, and her other equipment, getting a personalised case and then also buying an owl, though she would have no one to send letters to. If she wanted to make people think that she was an aristocratic pure blood witch who grew up in France, then she would truly need to sell it.

The Baker account would barely even notice the dent that she was making.

Finally, all that was left was to buy the extra necessities, hair products, bathroom supplies, jewellery, little things that would make her dorm feel more like home.

Everything was quick to be delivered, and once again, Celeste was thankful to find her dorm mates out as she set her bed and put away her clothes, hiding the broken time turner deep inside of her chest, beneath everything that she could manage. Finally, she was able to have a warm bath after the whole time turner escapade and feel a bit more like herself. It gave her a chance to process, to sit and think, to make sure that she was now focussed on what she had to do.

When she emerged from the bathroom, dressed in the typical 1940s dress, her hair pulled upwards into a French twist that her mother had once taught her how to do, Celeste felt more like herself.

"Your belt is off." She paused, not having noticed someone else in the room. Twisting, she found a dark haired woman in a similar dress, watching her, though her hair was cut short, sort of like the photos of the Muggle starlet Marilyn Monroe that she'd seen before. "Here, let me."