20. Home Sweet Home

Start from the beginning

I liked everything I was hearing so far.

"Keys?" he asked Kieran, who fished his keys out of his bags, and gave them to his captain. "Now remember, once you get in, the alarm system activates."

We nodded and watched while he opened the door. Immediately, we could hear a steady beeping sound close by. The captain gestured for us to follow him in, and he stepped next to a small security device next to the door and showed the tag to it as well. The beeping stopped, and a female voice welcomed us back home.

"Again, just use the tag, and the alarm deactivates. You know how to use this thing?"

Kieran nodded.

"I only know how to cut the power off," I said with a grin.

"Trust me, you don't want to power this one off," the captain said. "This is part of our own system, so any kind of tampering will result in us dropping by with choppers and tanks."

"And I have nothing against that," I said with raised hands.

"Good. Again, you can give a code to your trusted ones, so all they need is a spare key," he continued. "Since you know how to use it, I don't have anything else to say about it except that this system is monitoring every door, window, and gate on your property. It will detect anyone trying to break in before they can even break anything."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Let me show you," the captain said, and closed the door. He then banged on it quite hard several times. "The system has detected this, and is now pointing cameras at the door to see what is going on. It can tell when someone is simply knocking or even banging on the door. But if you do this..."

He paused to grab the door handle and started yanking on it forcefully, like he was trying to force the door open. In three seconds, the alarm went off.

"It can tell the difference between banging the door and someone trying to break in," the captain said, and showed the tag to the machine again to stop the alarm. "And remember, if you don't cancel the alarm in thirty seconds, we will get notified about it. We will check the cameras first, then reach out to you, and if you won't respond in one minute, we will send a team to investigate."

"I must say, I will sleep my nights better with this," Kieran told him, giving him a grateful smile.

"And I haven't even shown you the rest," Captain Garcia said with a soft smile. "Because I can assure you, you can sleep your nights at complete peace."

Kieran raised his eyebrows at him in curiosity. He smiled and told us to follow him again. Kieran and I exchanged looks when he walked to the door that led down into the basement.

"The basements in these tiny houses Governor Morgan is having built are already pretty much bomb proof with great ventilation and its own plumbing system and water outlets," the captain spoke while we walked down the stairs. "It was pretty easy to add all the necessities on top of that."

"Necessities?" Kieran asked.

The captain said nothing. We stopped at the bottom floor, behind the door. It was not the same door I used to stare at from the inside. This one looked much heavier. The captain opened it and pushed it open.

"What...?" Kieran breathed out in awe when we saw what they'd done to the basement.

The whole area had been changed completely. They had divided it in two with a wall and turned the left side of the basement into a really nice bedroom. On our right, there was a small, joined kitchenette and a living room area, and at the back corner was a brand-new bathroom. There were fake windows on the walls hidden behind nice green curtains. The walls were painted with the same colors as the rooms upstairs – colors of nature – and the bed, the couch, everything seemed brand-new.