Chapter 17 :- Fever's Grip

Începe de la început

After five long minutes, I summoned the courage to venture into the unknown. My eyes darted back and forth, constantly checking for any signs of intrusion through the window. Slowly, I made my way through the dense forest, my senses on high alert. The only company I had were the whispering trees and the distant twinkling stars that adorned the night sky. I circled around, searching for any clues, but to no avail. There was nothing out of the ordinary.

Huh, that's weird. I could've sworn I heard a scratching sound, but there's nobody around. It wasn't just in my head, but I can't afford to let my guard down.

As I began retracing my steps, a sudden urge compelled me to turn around and face the forest once more. And then, I heard it again—the sound that had sent chills down my spine. My heart raced as I swiftly pivoted, only to discover that the source of my unease was nothing more than a harmless lizard. I watched it intently, my relief washing over me like a gentle breeze.

Realizing my mistake, I let out a sigh of relief. It seemed that the lizard had been responsible for the mysterious sounds all along. With newfound tranquility, I opened the window and gracefully leaped inside, careful not to disturb Alice's slumber. I slipped off my shoes and placed them beneath my study table, silently tiptoeing towards my bed. With utmost care, I settled onto the mattress, ensuring that Alice remained undisturbed. I pulled the blanket up, tucking it snugly around me, and gradually succumbed to the embrace of sleep.

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock ringing. Slowly, I reached out for it on the shelf and turned it off. As I sat up, I glanced over at my left and saw that she was still asleep. I rubbed my eyes and checked the clock. It was only 6AM in the morning.

I got up from the bed and stretched. As I looked back at her, I noticed that she was sweating a bit. I placed my hand on her forehead and confirmed that she had a fever. It was nothing new, though. She had been prone to fever ever since she was a kid.

I walked over to the door and opened it before walking back towards the bed. I pulled the blanket off her and picked her up into my arms. As I walked out of my room, I left the door open. I strolled down the hallway of the orphanage, holding her close to my chest.

As I walked, I saw Mrs. Warner. She was an amazing woman who worked at the orphanage. I was closest to her, and she was like a mother to me. She was wearing a simple blue dress, and her blonde hair was tied up in a bun. Despite her financial situation, she always looked stunning.

Mrs. Warner greeted me with a smile, "Good Morning" and raised an eyebrow as she saw me carrying Alice in my arms. She sighed and said, "She slept in your room again, huh?"

I replied, "Good morning, and yeah, no matter how much I tell her, she just won't listen to me."

Mrs. Warner looked at Alice's face, which was sweating. "Is something wrong?" she asked.

I nodded and said, "Yeah, she has a fever again."

Mrs. Warner nodded and said, "Okay. Well, let's take her into her room."

We walked down the hallway together, and I followed Mrs. Warner to Alice's room. As we entered, I laid her down on the bed and covered her with a blanket. Mrs. Warner went to the cupboard and took out some medicine. She handed it to me and said, "Put this on table, I will come back soon."

I nodded and thanked her. As she left the room, I sat down next to Alice and stroked her hair. I hoped she would feel better soon. However, I soon came to the realization that simply stroking her hair would not bring her the comfort she needed.

Then I got up and went into the bathroom and grabbed a cool washcloth, dampening it with cold water. I carefully placed it on Alice's forehead, providing some relief from the fever.