:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

Jeremy smiled tightly and I glanced at him in shock. Was that one of the things he'd looked up that he couldn't tell me? I turned back to Lexi, frowning. "He went to anger management?"

"I can't really talk about it," she replied, a sheepish look crossing her face. "Sorry, Holly. But, um, I've got to go meet Willis before class, so I'll see you two later, okay?"

"Sure," Jeremy and I responded together.

"By the way, Mr. Ross, I like your tie!" she chirped, throwing him one last smile as she walked by him.

Jeremy grimaced. "I should have seen that coming."

"It's just a compliment," I pointed out, watching the pecan haired girl enter the building. "But I really don't like how she's leading Lance on..."

"If he knows she has a boyfriend, that's hardly her fault."

I pursed my lips at Jeremy. "Don't stick up for her."

"I'm not!"

"Sure."

He scowled at me. "Whatever, Holly. We're going inside now, before we're late." Ignoring my protests, he gripped me by the elbow, dragging me toward the door and inside. "Be tough. Stand your ground."

"Easier said than done," I muttered, wrenching my arm away from him. "Why do I have to keep this up? Chris listened to me. He didn't say anything to Aaron."

"He still left you alone at that restaurant."

My heart dropped into my gut. Of course Jeremy would remind me of that. "He was just angry," I whispered.

"No," Jeremy said sternly. "You're going to ignore him today. Show him who's boss, Holly. Make him build statues for your forgiveness. Okay?"

Slowly, I nodded. Chris would be the one to apologize to me this time. Leaving me at Uno's wasn't something I should let slide easily. I knew it. But it was going to be hard. "I can do this," I told myself.

"Go for it!" Jeremy urged, giving me a little push. "And hurry, otherwise you'll be late for homeroom."

I nodded, readjusting my backpack. "I'll see you in gym class!"

"Good luck!"

"Thanks!" I was definitely going to need it.

The first part of the day passed by quickly. Thankfully, I didn't run into Chris once. I'd bumped into Aaron a few times, but all he did was smile at me. It wasn't even a taunting smile. Everything was going good. When lunch came around, I made my way to the cafeteria, feeling lighthearted.

"Boo!"

I jumped, automatically whipping my hand back in defense. A low cry of pain came from behind me. "Holly, you git, what was that for?"