Chapter 55 - Glittering Silk and Intoxicating Potions

Song inspiration: Solitude (Slowed + Reverb) by M83

-

Chapter 55 – Glittering Silk and Intoxicating Potions

The Accord Hall was ablaze with a thousand candles, their flickering flames dancing rhythmically to the beat of the music. The smell of savory food and sweet drinks wrapped around my nose with every step I took. I barely saw Isabelle hand our coats to someone when the hall's heavy mahogany doors closed behind us because I couldn't take my eyes off the hallway ahead. Except for two torches on either side of the entrance, it was in complete darkness and the smooth polished marble reflected what little light there was. Blue, crackling, sparking; witch-fire in its purest form and certainly the work of Magnus Bane.

Beneath the stone arch of the ceiling, the corridor revealed the center of the Accord Hall. Humans – Nephilim, werewolves, vampires, warlocks – stood together, danced, ate; surrounded by candlelight and lovely music. I felt Isabelle's grip on my wrist only marginally as she pulled me forward, under the arch and into the hall. I had spent one moment in darkness and the next I was surrounded by sparkling, circling lights in all colors of the rainbow. The scent of lilies gripped me from all sides, as if the aroma wanted to enchant me with its feathery touch. The sound of string instruments buzzed in my ears and my feet tingled with the need to move to the rhythm of the melody. I had never danced a day in my life. At least not the way the people in this room imagined dancing.

My eyes wandered to Isabelle, whose expectant gaze was already fixed on me excitedly. Her long face was framed by slightly curled strands of her obsidian black hair. The eyeliner made the irises around her pupils appear black rather than brown. "It's amazing, Isabelle," I said, feeling a strange sense of breathlessness. I wasn't good at showing my feelings, even though I actually found it incredible. "It is wonderful."

Her cherry red lips curled into a satisfied smirk. "I can say with good certainty that Magnus and I have surpassed ourselves. I really enjoyed working with him." In one smooth motion, she continued her course through the crowd that seemed to part in front of us almost by itself. I ignored their looks and followed Isabelle. The train of her scarlet silk dress slid across the floor and her feet moved so precisely and confidently in the heels that it was as if she had been born in them. Even without a dress like this, she would have drawn everyone's attention.

Isabelle squeaked and threw her arms in the air. Although it was still winter and the temperatures were near freezing after sunset, her dress showed as much skin as possible without being too revealing. Charcoal runes spiraled down her body along the thin spaghetti straps, stretching across her shoulders and down to her knuckles. Her long hair covered most of her back, but with every step I could make out curves and edges from other marks along her spine. Her legs alone were rune-free, but calf-deep in a pair of golden heels. The confidence with which she put one foot in front of the other made her shine like a ruby from within. Until my escape, I had not known that Nephilim culture could be so beautiful, so lofty, so free from norms and rules. We are Shadowhunters and we are free as the wind, brave as the angels and proud as our ancestors.

Isabelle stopped and I stepped aside to catch our opposite. Adam, Alec and Jace stood in a semicircle, all three dressed in black tuxedos. Only size, physique and hair color differed them from each other. A giggle escaped Isabelle's lips and she tugged at the sleeve of Alec's suit coat. "Don't we look stunning?"

"Oh yeah," Alec replied wryly, rolling his eyes. "Breath-tak-ing. "

Isabelle gave him a rude slap on the shoulder but smiled. Her playfully narrowed gaze swept over the three. "You don't look bad yourselves." She turned on her own axis and the silk reflected the candlelight in a dull glow. "But nothing compared to Clary and me." She bared her teeth at them, then leaned over and whispered, "Meliorn will be sorry he didn't persuade the Seelie Queen to join us."