Chapter 16 - How He Turned Heaven Against Him

I left the library shortly after Jace. His room was right next to mine, which obviously displeased me and I'm sure him too.

Nonetheless, my room was more than I expected and far better than my room at the Institute. It was large and spacious, with dark parquet floors and a heavy but incredibly soft burgundy carpet covering almost the entire floor. There were two large windows, to the left and opposite the door, which let warm sunlight into the room. It had started to snow outside and small white flakes settled on the windowsill.

Looking down the street below offered a peaceful vista. A few Nephilim walked quickly across the street. The picture reminded me of New York when I was standing on the balcony at Magnus Bane's and watching the people there. The people there seemed much calmer compared to the Shadowhunters, even the workers hadn't scurried down the sidewalks like they did here. What immediately caught my eye was the Nephilim's distorted facial features, as if each were carrying a terrible fate on their shoulders. The people of New York had seemed a lot more relaxed and even happier. So what was it that made the Shadowhunters different from the humans? Was it their additional knowledge of this world and the dangers that seemed to lurk everywhere? Or was it the important task, the protection of this world from all the demons, the relentless fight against creatures that would always be reborn and return?

I sighed and turned away from the window. I was sure that even as a Shadowhunter you could have a decent life if you just opened yourself up to it. But most of the Shadowhunters I'd encountered seemed to embody the exact opposite: closed to the world and its beauty, always appealing to the traditions laid down centuries ago. It occurred to me that the Nephilim might dig their own grave with it.

My gaze roamed the room and lingered on the oversized four-poster bed, which definitely could have accommodated more than one person. The four pillars at the corners of the bed held dark gray curtains that could be closed and opened at will. There was a bedside table next it. As if by themselves, my legs carried me to it and in a slow hand movement I let the book fall on it. The cover seemed much brighter than the dark red of the carpet.

Exhausted, I flopped down on the bed and ran my fingers over the smooth duvet cover that someone had already put on the bed. I looked in the mirror of the wardrobe, which was to the right of the door and took up the entire wall. Hundreds of items of clothing would fit in there, I thought to myself and my eyes wandered to the foot of the bedside table where my black bag was standing. The person who prepared the room for me probably brought it up here as well.

Looking in the mirror, I saw that I was still wearing the white dress. With a sigh, I pulled it over my head and tossed it toward my bag. I was too exhausted to unpack my things or pay attention to order. In two quick movements, I also kicked my boots towards the closet and then slipped under the heavy covers of the bed. It wasn't until I moved my head to the side that I realized I'd forgotten to draw the curtains. But I didn't care because I was too tired for the sun's rays to stop me from sleeping.

oOo

Bright, almost golden light blinded Clary as she opened her eyes again. The sun's rays made her green eyes shine like emeralds. It took a few moments for her eyes to adjust to the light; then they widened as Clary saw the place she was standing in front of.

She couldn't find a word that would adequately describe what lay before her. She was at a staggering altitude, far away she could see the silver billows of water, glowing in the sunlight. But it seemed as if the water was so deep below her that it was just a glimpse of something, without her being able to reach or get through to that place. Something in her mind was aware of a barrier between the two worlds.