Chapter 41 - Between Realities

Chapter 41 – Between Realities

The ground beneath me shook. Every fiber of my body burned like liquid fire coursing through my veins. A gasp escaped my lips and I opened my eyes, escaping the endless darkness that had closed its claws on my mind for so long that I felt the need to close my eyes again almost immediately. Bright white stretched out before me, so wide it seemed endless. The fire slowed my brain and it took me a few seconds to realize I was staring at a white sky.

My gaze jerked to the side, focused, and spotted a figure inches from me. It was an odd angle I was watching it from. I tried to turn my head, but none of my muscles responded to my command. As if the figure had noticed my awakening, it lowered its eyes to me. Golden pupils poked out at me and I knew I knew him, but my brain was foggy and couldn't keep up with the many sensory impressions.

"You're awake," he whispered in a relieved voice, and something under my back moved. Only now did I realize that he was holding me with one of his arms. My head was resting against his shoulder as if he knew I didn't have the strength to support myself.

I tried to nod, but the fire in my blood stopped me. What happened? I couldn't remember. My eyes slid past the man's face to the sky. A dark orange veil floated towards us from one side. It looked like it was about to swallow the white. A sunset? My brain seemed to be catching up, because all of a sudden the sounds of the environment came to the fore. The pounding of hooves on wet earth, an animal's panting breath, the wind whistling against my hair.

I suddenly realized that I was on a horse, my body almost horizontal in the man's arms, allowing my eyes to stare at the endless sky without a problem. My gaze slid back to him and while my mind was working overtime, the mask in front of his face fell.

"Jace," I murmured, my voice barely audible over the thunder of hooves. I sounded weak, as if all strength had left my body, as if every syllable hurt my lips. And that's how it was. Opening my mouth was agony, but the only thing I could manage under the circumstances of the burning feeling in my veins.

Jace nodded and shifted his weight in the saddle. I could feel the tension in his body beneath me. "Try to stay awake, Clary," he said, almost sounding like a plea. "I wasn't sure if I hadn't already lost you."

"Lost?"

Astonishment crossed Jace's features, then he placed his left hand flat on my forehead. "Your fever is rising." Panic crept into his tone, but I couldn't find the strength to question it. "There was a battle, remember? You were hit by a poison spike."

Images flashed in front of my inner eye and suddenly everything made sense. The fire in my veins nothing but poison paralyzing my muscles. "I remember."

"How are you feeling?" Jace asked, staring down at me uncertainly. Only then did I notice that he wasn't wearing a coat. That was atypical, it was still winter. His torn black outfit seemed to swallow the sun's light. The gold in his eyes shone all the more.

"Like I'm on fire," I ground out, blinking. Each word brought the darkness a little bit closer to my mind. My energy reserves were almost exhausted.

"Don't worry," Jace said, and the grip around my body tightened. My eyes followed his movement. Another answer revealed itself to me. I was wrapped in his coat. Maybe that explained the heat. But it was probably just the fever. "We will reach the city soon."

oOo

A moan escaped my lips. My eyes swept the room, but dark dots danced in front of my pupils so I could barely make out anything. A bright light shone down on me from the ceiling. My body shifted sideways as pain shot through my stomach. Fingers closed around my arms, forcing me to endure this suffering.