"Damn it, indeed it's such a black patent leather lantern, so corrupt and dark!" (t/n: black patent leather lantern - describes the corruption and darkness of society)

Everyone smacked their lips and dreamed in unison: It would be great if you could give me a fraction. It doesn't need to be much, a hundred taels of silver is enough!

"There is also the sixth child. It is hearsay that his own mother was the most beautiful woman in the south of the Yangtze River back then. She was very good at seducing men and was very popular for her age. However, news recently broke that she was plotting to murder the heirs of the harem. Now she has been imprisoned and may never be able to stand out again!"

Everyone listened with great interest and marveled at the secrets of the royal family, which was indeed exciting!

"The most poisonous thing is a woman's heart! She even dares to murder the heirs of the royal family. What's the point of being imprisoned? Beheading is not an exaggeration!" Suddenly he remembered missing one person, "What about the fourth child?"

"The fourth child belongs to Imperial Concubine Zhang. Imperial Concubine Zhang is very prosperous now. She is both the Imperial Concubine and the Prime Minister's..." The square-faced man burped from the wine and said in a daze: "I see that he has some real ability."

"Back then, there was a flood in the Bianhe River and the plague spread. Thanks to his good management, otherwise I don't know how many people would have died." Everyone praised him, "If you ask me, compared to that unborn baby, this one is more reliable!"

"So what if he's reliable? The little one will come out of the Imperial Empress's belly!"

"I don't want to hear what you are saying! So what if you are born noble? Do you have an extra eye or an extra leg compared to us ordinary people? According to me, the one who is capable will rise to the top, regardless of whether he is of high or low origin!"

Immediately, some people nodded as if pounding garlic, racking their brains to come up with a cultural phrase, "Yes, yes, yes! Isn't there a saying, princes, generals, and ministers would rather have their own kind!" (t/n: in other words, "are those who call themselves princes and worship generals nobler than us?" – these words are used to stimulate people's anger and are very rebellious words)

"Okay, Wang Mazi, you can still speak words!"

Everyone burst into laughter. After laughing, they felt very depressed. They poured wine into their mouths: If I was born as a prince or a noble, would there still be these bastards! Damn, it's just relying on a good background... Bah...

The atmosphere was full of alcohol. Amid the noise and laughter, there was a man in the corner with his back to everyone, drinking in silence, seemingly indifferent to everything.

After a long time, he stood up and walked out of the tavern. He lowered his hat, and stepped into the rain expressionlessly.

*

In Dengyun Pavilion, Cui Muli and Zhou Niannan sat across from each other.

There was a chess game and a pot of Lansheng wine on the rosewood table. While the two were drinking, they would play chess moves from time to time, chatting away.

Zhou Niannan put down the white chess piece in his hand and took a sip of wine. The wine was mellow and had a long aftertaste, but it was a pity...

"Good wine should go with good things, but it's a pity that Li Hongye is so cunning and cautious that it's hard to find any clues." Zhou Niannan curled his lips in disappointment and asked, "I heard that he made things difficult for you at Zhang Xianzong's promotion banquet?"