Chapter 1.1

Content Advisory

I feel it is my purpose as an author to write stories that challenge my heart, and therefore, it's possible your heart may also find this story challenging to read.

You deserve support and safety. Please take care of yourself while reading with the following in mind:

Unraveling with You contains depictions of domestic abuse (adult parent to adult child), and discussions of past sexual and physical abuse. Characters also unpack their trauma through formally consensual sexual acts, including kink and BDSM play.

If you or someone you know are struggling, there is hope and support for you here in this world. Please seek the care you deserve, as you matter immensely to me and your loved ones.

Unsure where to start your search for support? Feel free to visit the Resources list at the bottom of this book's Content Advisory page at https://riverkaiart.com/unraveling-with-you/contentadvisory for a list of mental health resources.

Just by reading my book, you've made an incredibly wonderful difference in my life. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for existing here with me.

With All My Love,

River Kai

**********

CHAPTER 1

I've never had a personal trainer. Pinching my gifted gym membership card between shaking fingers, I tuck my tote bag tighter over my narrow shoulders. The jet-black gym building towers over me, even the front windows tinted a sleek black with an electric blue "FRONTRUNNER GYM" plastered at the top.

My co-worker, Gabby, must've paid way too much for this temporary gym membership. We've worked together at Salucci's Ristorante for three-and-a-half years now, so I know how much she makes, and our paycheck is the main reason I've never made an effort to get a gym membership.

Okay, maybe there are two reasons. Gabby saw my second reason while we were changing in the back room. She didn't comment on the rippling mark spanning the length of my lower back; I did - with my usual "it's a birthmark" explanation. But she convinced me I look okay enough to visit a public gym. That's not how she phrased it, but how I'm phrasing it, now that I'm covered by my loose, gray zip-up jacket and worn black leggings.

As a bulked-out man hustles past me to breeze through the glass doors, I'm tempted to take a step back. Or maybe three. But as the man checks himself in at the front desk and walks straight inside, entering the building doesn't look as daunting as the long, arduous process I imagined.

With a shuddering breath, I take one step forward. Just one step is enough to keep me walking, even though I'm terrified of everyone analyzing my body.

The man at the front desk smiles wide enough to display a neat row of perfect, bright white teeth. An electric blue "LIAM" is embroidered on his gym staff shirt, the athletic, wicking fabric straining over broad pecs. "Welcome in. How may I help you?"

My shoulders raise as I come to a stop in front of him, readjusting my double-handed grip on my tote bag straps. "H-hi, um– I'm new here, and I have this."

Liam takes my gifted gym membership from my trembling fingers. "Great, thank you. I'll just need to input some information to get your membership started. Name, please?"

"Lilibeth Norris," I mutter.

Dammit, why did I say my full first name? Almost no one hears it right on the first try. My parents named me after my mom, Lia, and my dad's mom, Elizabeth. But of course, Lilibeth is also a shortened form of Elizabeth, and everyone mistakes it as such. No one can undermine Dad's importance, not even the woman shoving me from her body.