Act 13: Clash of Vengeance

Start from the beginning

"You talk too damn much," shot back Kage as Kazan merely laughed at him. "And you're too pathetic to realise that your vengeance is futile," she retorted, smirking at him. "What do you think you are, huh?" she asked as her body reformed instantly.

"You're not a hero nor a vigilante. You're just someone who will become my next meal!" she said as Kage's hair hid his eyes. His mind drifted to similar words he had heard before.

"We don't need you to act like a hero! We can fight alongside you," said Mariya before smiling at him. "So don't put too much pressure on yourself," she reassured Kage. Beside him, Faran chuckled. "Yeah, dude! We are like the best slayer trio of the corps, I bet!" he boasted before taking a small pose.

"I'm sure we can handle anything thrown at us!" he encouraged, making Kage smile before nodding. "Yeah, you're right," he said before Faran wrapped his arm around his shoulder. "I'm sure in the future, we all will become hashiras!" he said, making the two laugh.

"You always dream so far," Mariya realised, making Faran huff and look away. "What's wrong with that?!" he asked but only heard a chuckle from Kage.

The two looked back at him, seeing a smile gracing his face. "I like this idea," he said, making the two pause. "Let's all become hashiras so we can help more people," he said, making his two companions nod and cheer at this vow.

"...no, I'm no hero," whispered Kage before glaring at Kazan. "And never will be as long as I'm not strong enough to protect anyone," he concluded. Hearing this, the demon merely cackled as she put her hands together.

"You weren't strong enough the first time. So don't think it will change now," she said before pulling her hands away. "Blood Demon Art: Magma Hound," said Kazan as her hands gained magma claws.

"Let me show you how delusional you truly are," she said before rushing at the slayer. Taking a deep breath, Kage tightened the hold on his swords. "Shadow Breathing Third Form: Nightfall Dash," he said, dashing toward Kazan.

Their battle was a spectacle of fury and skill, a deadly ballet choreographed amidst the forest's stillness. With her dominion over flame and earth, Kazan unleashed her wrath in waves of searing magma. Each swing she took at Kage was a testament to her destructive might.

On the other hand, Kage knew he couldn't let Kazan hit him, or it would be the end for him. With every move, Kage embodied the spirit of his lost comrades, their hopes and dreams fuelling his every strike. However, none of his strikes could be decisive as only Kazan's laughter and the flicking flames around resonated.

"Where is this vengeful spirit? Did it cloud your mind once again?" she asked before feeling Kage slice her cheek. "Have you forgotten how to kill a demon?" she taunted as Kage's gaze hardened, but he didn't reply.

"But don't worry..." she lingered before swinging her arm at Kage, but this time, she managed to hit his leg, making the slayer hiss. "I haven't forgotten how to kill you humans," said Kazan as Kage jumped away before wincing in pain.

Looking down, he saw the result of Kazan's magma fangs on his leg. 'I was too careless,' he cursed himself, gritting his teeth against the pain he felt. "Little slayer, I have a proposal for you..." began Kazan, making Kage furrow his brows.