Part 10

As the first light of dawn filtered through the dense canopy of trees, casting long shadows across the bayou, I reluctantly made my way back to my small, weather-beaten home. The weight of my mother's disappearance bore down on me like a heavy cloak, each step a painful reminder of the uncertainty that plagued my mind.

With the dawn of a new day, I was left with no option but to contact Detective Cooper. Even though I couldn't trust him, I needed his help. But what would happen if the search turned up evidence of what I had done? I haven't seen anything, but I'm also not a detective with all their resources.

Would they drag the swamp?

Would they find parts of him?

No, it's too risky. I will have to find mother another way. But how?

I decided to check around the house one more time. I paused for a moment, gazing out into the tangled wilderness that surrounded my home. The sounds of the swamp filled my ears—the croaking of frogs, the chirping of crickets, the occasional splash of a gator slipping into the water. It was a cacophony of life and death, a reminder of the fragile balance that existed in this untamed wilderness.

Was I prepared to sacrifice my mother to save myself?

The answer was simple, No.

With a sigh, I reached for my phone, my fingers trembling slightly as I dialed Detective Cooper's number. The phone rang several times before he finally answered, his voice crisp and businesslike.

"Detective Cooper," he said, his tone brusque.

"Detective, it's Fleur," I replied, my voice barely above a whisper. "I need your help. My mother's gone missing."

There was a brief pause on the other end of the line, and then Detective Cooper spoke again, his voice softened with concern.

"I'll send a team to your location right away," he said. "We'll do everything we can to find her."

I thanked him before hanging up the phone, a knot of anxiety tightening in my chest. I knew I was taking a risk by involving the police, but I had no other choice. My mother's safety was worth any consequence.

As I waited for the authorities to arrive, I couldn't shake the feeling of unease that settled over me like a suffocating blanket. What had happened to my mother? And more importantly, what role did the secrets of the bayou play in her disappearance?

As the sun climbed higher in the sky, the sound of approaching vehicles broke the stillness of the morning. I watched from the porch as a convoy of police cars and search vehicles rumbled down the dirt road, their headlights cutting through the early morning mist.

Detective Cooper emerged from one of the cars, his expression grim as he surveyed the scene. He was followed by a team of officers, their faces etched with determination as they prepared to scour the swamp in search of my missing mother.

I stepped forward to greet them, my heart pounding in my chest.

"Detective," I said, my voice steady despite the turmoil raging inside me. "Thank you for coming."

Detective Cooper nodded, his gaze piercing as he took in the sight of me standing on the porch.

"We'll do everything we can to find your mother, Fleur," he said, his tone reassuring. "But we'll need your help."

I nodded, my throat tight with emotion. "Of course, Detective. Whatever you need."

With that, the search party sprang into action, fanning out across the bayou in search of any sign of my mother. I watched anxiously as they disappeared into the dense undergrowth, their shouts and calls echoing through the swamp.

If I thought Cooper would leave me in peace to worry, I was proven wrong. As soon as everyone was out of earshot, he pounced like a predator that had cornered his prey, and the prey was me.

"Fleur, don't you think it odd this disappearance? Is there something you are not telling me? It could help find your mother."

My temper flared, be it from stress or lack of sleep, but I had had enough of this man and his questions.

I squared my shoulders, meeting Detective Cooper's gaze head-on. "Detective, I've already told you everything I know," I said, my voice tinged with frustration. "My mother's disappearance is just as much a mystery to me as it is to you. If you have any leads or information, I suggest you focus on finding her instead of badgering me."

Detective Cooper's expression hardened, his eyes narrowing as he studied me. "I know you have secrets this whole damn town is nothing but a big secret. If you want to find your mother and stop the killings, I suggest you be honest for a change."

I bristled at Detective Cooper's accusation, the frustration boiling beneath the surface threatening to spill over. "I am being honest," I insisted, my voice tinged with anger. "I've told you everything I know. If you have evidence that implicates me or anyone else in these crimes, then show it. Otherwise, stop wasting your time and mine with baseless accusations."

Detective Cooper's gaze remained steady, his expression unreadable. "I'll be keeping an eye on you, Fleur," he said, his tone warning. "And if I find out you're hiding something, you'll be the first one I come after."

As I watched him go, a sinking feeling settled in the pit of my stomach.

Hours passed in agonizing silence as we waited for any word from the search party. The sun climbed higher in the sky, casting harsh rays of light over the bayou, but still, there was no sign of my mother.

As the afternoon wore on, despair began to gnaw at the edges of my mind. What if they never found her? What if she was lost forever in the tangled maze of the bayou?

But just as hope was beginning to fade, a shout rang out from the depths of the swamp. My heart leaped into my throat as I raced toward the sound, my legs pumping with adrenaline.

As I followed the sound deeper into the swamp, my heart pounded in my chest, each beat echoing the rhythm of my desperation. The murky waters seemed to close in around me, the tangled undergrowth casting eerie shadows that danced in the dim light filtering through the canopy above.

Finally, I reached the source of the shout, where a small group of search party members had gathered around a patch of exposed earth. Their faces were etched with a mix of shock and horror as they stared down at the skeletal remains protruding from the muddy ground.

My breath caught in my throat as I realized what they had found. Bones. Human bones. But not my mother's. These bones were not just any human remains—they belonged to Eloi, the boy I had killed in a moment of panic and desperation.

How had Eloi ended up here, buried beneath the unforgiving earth of the bayou? And, more importantly, who had put him here?

A shiver ran down my spine as I considered the implications of this grim discovery. Was someone else aware of what I had done? Was I being targeted, my secrets laid bare for all to see? The thought sent a chill coursing through my veins, and I fought to push down the rising tide of fear threatening to engulf me.

I looked over at the detective, who didn't seem too surprised. His hard eyes bore into me. A knowing glint in them. Quickly composing myself, I turned to face him, my voice steady despite the turmoil raging within me. "Detective, these bones are old and weathered," I stated, my tone firm and resolute.

He regarded me with a silent intensity, his lips pressed into a thin line as he nodded in acknowledgment. "Indeed," he replied, his voice measured and calm. "But that doesn't change the fact that a crime has been committed."

I decided less is more in this moment and waited to see what happened.