Part 8

I head out the next morning to go to the market and to see if there is any news on the new victim.

As I pass by Claude's, the familiar scent of stale popcorn and cigarette smoke fills the air, mingling with the sound of laughter and chatter from within. Curiosity gets the better of me, and I push open the door, the bell above jingling softly in greeting. The arcade is bustling with activity, and teenagers gather around the various games. Several couples are in lip locks in the dark corners.

I catch snippets of conversation as I pass by, the words sending a chill down my spine.

"Heard they found another one in the bayou."

"Who do you think did it?"

"Could be anyone. This town's full of secrets."

The killer could be anyone, hiding in plain sight among the innocent faces of my friends and neighbors.

But as I reach the back of the arcade, my heart skips a beat as I spot a familiar figure lurking in the shadows. Detective Cooper leans against the wall, his eyes fixed on me.

"Fleur," he greets me, his voice low and tinged with a hint of amusement. "What brings you here?"

I swallow the lump in my throat, forcing myself to meet his gaze head-on. "I could ask you the same thing, Detective. Shouldn't you be out there, searching for the killer?"

"Oh, I'm always searching, Fleur. But sometimes, the answers we seek are closer than we think."

I narrow my eyes, the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end. "What's that supposed to mean?"

He leans in closer, his voice dropping to a whisper. "It means that sometimes, the killer is hiding in plain sight, right under our noses."

"Here at Claude's." I snort. "If that is all you have got so far, maybe it's time to call in someone who isn't so stupid."

Detective Cooper straightens up, his expression shifting to one of faux casualness.  "I couldn't help but notice your absence from the crime scene earlier. Care to explain?"

"I have a life; you know I am not always lurking about crime scenes during my summer break."

He raises an eyebrow, his gaze piercing through me like a knife. "Huh? That's a shame. You might've missed out on some valuable information."

"Like what?" my voice was too loud, but I was dying to know who the last victim was."

"Shall we play our game then, Fleur?"

I'll go first. Who was it, not from here, is what I've heard?"

"No, the girl was from the city."

"But what brings a city girl all the way out here to Cypress?" I ask. Lord knows there isn't much in our town. "She was here to meet someone,"

Cooper frowns and shakes his head. "That's two questions. You only get one."

I cross my arms over my chest with a huff. "Well, go on then, ask your question. Detective"

Detective Cooper narrows his eyes at me, clearly unamused by my attitude. "Fine," he says curtly. "I think the killer used to live here but moved to the city, and he comes back here because it is familiar, and he knows the place and the people."

"But this last girl?" I hedge

"Who said he killed her?" He smirks at me, clearly feeling superior.

"She was found dumped in the swamp like the others. How did she die?"

"Not like the others; no, this was a copycat." His face is that of a man secure in his beliefs.

I suck my bottom lip into my mouth as I contemplate this new information. It's one of my habits that I wish I could break.

"So you think someone just took advantage of all the killings to what? Make everyone think it's the same person?" I tilt my head to the side, not buying what the detective is selling.

"It's the perfect way to get away with murder, isn't it?" Cooper smirks down at me. "This little town of yours is just full of murders."

It would appear that way.