Chapter 108: Experimentation

Start from the beginning

Aurora chuckled softly. She rarely ever laughed. "I do not think this world is simply a creation of this 'TurtleMe' either, Toren," she said. "But for someone to have such superb knowledge of another world's future, such intimate experiences of another's emotions and point of view as to put it to the page? That is what unnerves me, Contractor. If one can have such mastery over Fate, how can we fight against it? I wonder at the source of your book. Even if this Arthur Leywin has a sort of destined relationship with the highest Edict, we are like gnats in a thunderstorm before such utter knowledge."

As far as I'm aware, I said, watching as a tired nurse carried supplies across the lobby, We've already defied that Fate several times. Maybe we don't know how we did so yet, but there are differences. I smiled. For one, you're here with me.

The asura's shoulders slumped. I suspected it would take some time for her to fully internalize the revelations I'd provided, but we'd moved past treating each other like adversaries to dance around. We were united in our souls. In the wake of the asura's sacrifice, I felt that keeping my knowledge secret was a pointless endeavor.

"Defying Fate," Aurora said wistfully. She still looked somewhat tired, and glancing at the gaping hole in her shade-like form's chest, I suspected she wouldn't always be able to aid me as before. "Such a wonderful idea."

I felt my lips curl slightly at the edges. Do we even have a Fate anymore? I asked with a hint of amusement. Neither of us should currently exist, as far as I'm aware. What does that mean for the world?

The asura received my playful philosophizing with characteristic stoicism. "The novel you read may have simply been a possible outcome for this world," she said after a minute. "Our own journeys may have been destined for something else, diverging endlessly."

I nodded internally. I recognize that possibility, I replied over our link. So far, everything has lined up with what I know down to the dates and the people, I said, thinking of Darrin Ordin. But there's always a chance there's a single detail off; or some critical bit of information withheld from me. I plan to use my future knowledge as a shifting outline rather than a stern rulebook.

Aurora looked up at the ceiling, her blazing eyes dimming a fraction. "I wonder who pulls these strings of Fate," she said absently. "Who puppets us both? It is a rare coincidence that you, who have deep knowledge of this world, are caught by my reincarnation spell by chance. Rare that you would have the same natural mana affinities as I. Rare that you would have a twin soul on this side of the divide."

The asura's listless words took me aback. I realized then that I may have miscalculated in telling her my secret all at once. I'd aimed to give her hope for our future goals: after all, Arthur Leywin proved Agrona's plans were fallible. And perhaps I did give her hope for a better end.

But in the process, I'd instilled a different fear. An entirely existential worry for the verity of her own free will.

I opened my mouth to reply but was interrupted as the door to the back rooms of the clinic swung open sharply.

Trelza stood looming in the doorway for the briefest of instants before his eyes–which seemed set too far back in his skull–zeroed in on me.

I'd compared Renea Shorn to the Grim Reaper on multiple occasions, but as the stone-faced doctor strode towards me, I thought that this surgeon fit the moniker far more.

"Daen," Trelza said coldly, looking down at me. I suppressed a subconscious desire to wilt. I was over six feet tall, yet still, this man loomed over me like a scarecrow. "Your employment at this clinic was terminated months prior."