𝟎𝟒. 𝐀𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐦𝐲 - 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐈𝐈

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟎𝟒

𝐀𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐦𝐲 - 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐈𝐈

𝐀𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝟎𝟏𝐄𝟎𝟒,
𝐁𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐒𝟎𝟏𝐄𝟎𝟓

· · ·

·  ·  ·

· · ·

                 Johnny didn't immediately get what Shannon meant when she said she couldn't control Robby. He was a sixteen year-old boy, not a wild boar waiting to be tamed — for Johnny, the solution was as simple as her stopping to waste all her time chasing sleazy men in bars and starting to spend more of it actually caring for her son. When he suggested that Robby move in with him, he did so confident in his actions; he's been thinking about it since Max got her own room and he was certain that he could take care of both of his kids on his own. Certain that he could make things right if they gave him the chance to do so.

                 That was until he woke up the next day to a call from the police department, of course.

                 Then, Johnny understood exactly what Shannon meant.

                 He entered the station panting and looking around, searching frantically for a head of curly hair and a set of dark clothes. Max looked up from her seat next to a cop's table and the sight of her face made his heart sink.

                 She had a black eye, a swollen nose and a cut on her lip. From the awkward, almost protective way she crossed her arms over her chest, Johnny was almost sure she was hiding more injuries under her shirt. They gave her an ice bag for her eye, apparently, but that didn't seem to be doing too much.

                 He got déjà-vu from the state he found Miguel in three days ago, but this was so, so much worse. Max wasn't just a kid he felt responsible for, she was his little girl. The feeling of carrying a wild-haired six year old with a missing tooth on his shoulders was so prominent in Johnny's mind he couldn't help but always think of her as this fragile, precious thing. He used to hold her tiny legs so she wouldn't fall, and, in spite of Max having grown a lot since then, he saw the girl staring back at him as just as tiny.

                 He dodged the tables and pushed people out of his way as he tried to get to his daughter, "Max!" Ignoring the cop by her side, Johnny crouched in front of her chair, taking her by the shoulders and checking her injuries. "What happened? Are you alright?" Concern softened the edges in his voice and made his eyebrows furrow. A grimace took over his expression as he examined her nose from up close, "Jesus, that looks bad."

                 A smirk molded itself on Max's lips as she let Johnny analyze her bruises. "You should've seen the other guy," she joked.

                 Before Johnny could answer that, another voice cut in their interaction: "Mr. Macauley?"