𝟎𝟐. 𝐇𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐃𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟎𝟐

𝐇𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐃𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞

𝐒𝟎𝟏𝐄𝟎𝟑

· · ·

·  ·  ·

· · ·

Johnny Lawrence could not, for the life of him, find an opportunity to bond with his estranged daughter. And he wanted to, really! They've been living under the same roof for a couple of days and, although Max wouldn't go out of her way to disrespect him, she didn't make any effort to show some consideration at all, either - Johnny felt like he was some kind of distant roommate instead of her father, and it bothered him immensely. It was weird. Weirder than the time he never talked to her at all.

That morning, he was determined to do something about it, to at least have a chat about something. Anything. He asked Max to wait before leaving for school, but, as she stared at him with brown, questioning eyes, he regretted his decision. Damn it, what could he even talk about with a fifteen year old girl? Makeup? Clothes? Dolls? Does she still like dolls? Did she ever? Boys?-- No, not boys. He'd kill himself before ever talking to his daughter about boys.

He decided to say the first thing that came to mind. "Listen, I'm... Giving Miguel another karate class this afternoon," Max could feel discomfort coming out from him in waves, but she didn't do anything about it. She just stared. "You should come. You can, I don't know, paint your nails there or something." She squinted her eyes, but Johnny didn't notice. In fact, the more he talked, the more confident in his proposal he seemed, feeling encouraged by her lack of negative responses. "Who knows, maybe you'll even learn a thing or two. You can see what real men look like, instead of that pussy your mother brought home."

There was a pause. "... Really?" Max sounded disbelieving, and that caught Johnny off-guard. What had he even done wrong, this time?! "Painting nails and watching 'the men', that's the best you could come up with? It's a karate dojo," she even paused again to see if Johnny would catch up with what she's saying, but he never looked more confused than right now. Max sighed very, very deeply, and shook her head slightly. "Whatever, sure," she turned and headed towards the door, as she was doing before Johnny interrupted her.

"It starts at five," he said loudly to her back. "Don't be late!"

She walked out of the apartment without answering, and the door closed behind her with a bang.

· · ·

In the end, she really did show up. It was a quarter past five and the only person there was Miguel, hitting a dummy like his life depended on it before being interrupted by the door opening.