Chapter 3

"No, it's okay, it's just that no one has asked me that before. My mother from the human world passed away and my father was already gone so I stayed with Eda, she and my mom were best friends." Luz explained, she bit back tears, she would not cry in front of anyone. Finally, she won the battle between her and the tears. Amity looked at her sadly.

"I'm so sorry, I had no idea." Amity said, Luz just smiled and waved her hand.

"That's okay, it was a long time ago and it's not a big deal anymore. Besides, I have Eda and King, sometimes even Raine." Luz explained, Amity smiled and laid her head on her lap. Despite herself, Luz blushed and looked down at Amity, absentmindedly she started playing with her hair.

Amity yawned and Luz saw her little fangs, making her blush even more. Amity turned her head and fell asleep. That was when Luz noticed the bags under Amity's eyes, she started to wonder when was the last time she slept? Luz leaned back against the wall and, still playing with Amity's hair, went to rest her eyes. She wasn't asleep, but she wasn't awake either. They had the whole night.

On the project, they only had one slide done. It wasn't due until the end of the month, so they had a while to work on it and both girls were looking forward to it.

When Amity woke up, the sun was setting. Then the thunder started, and the boiling rains began. Amity sighed to herself, not believing her good luck, now she could stay the night with Luz and her parents didn't have any reason to say no. She would just tell them that she was at Bosha's. She hoped the rain would last forever, because that meant Eda had to stay over at Raine's for even longer and her and Luz would have the whole house to themselves.

She looked over at the human and found it adorable, she looked younger and calmer. She didn't have a scowl on her face or dead eyes. Now that she thought about it, she doesn't think Luz is over her parents' deaths like she said she was. When did Luz came to stay at the isles, junior year in high school, she was sure it was around that time. That wasn't that long ago, only three years. That's not near enough time for a child to get over their parents' deaths, so she was sure Luz was lying to her, there was no way she was over them, not yet at least.

As though Luz heard her thinking about her, she woke up. "Hey, what time is it?" she asked, her voice groggy. Amity giggled to herself and told her the time, "It's 9:15, is it okay if I stay at your place? It's raining outside and I don't want to be out for the pain bow. I already told my parents I was at Bosha's house; they wouldn't like it if they found out I was at the Owl House, considering Eda is wanted and so are you." Amity explained.

"Yeah, that should be okay, I think Eda and King went to Raine's place for shelter because it's closer to the night market and I'm 99% sure that's where they were." Luz said, Amity nodded and tried not to turn into a tomato. Somehow Luz's hair got messy, and she looked cute. "Hey, are you okay if I smoke? I did it before you came over because I didn't know you were going to stay the night. I just didn't want to make you uncomfortable; you know?" Luz asked, while looking away while rubbing the back of her neck. Amity smiled.

"Yeah, I don't mind, but can I have one?" She asked with a small smile, she hadn't smoked in almost a year, and she was dying. Luz looked at her with shock but nodded. She pulled out her cigarettes and took two out. She handed one to Amity and lit it for her, "do you know how to do it?" Luz asked, Amity nodded and held the cigarette naturally and took a hit without coughing. Luz looked shocked but didn't ask any questions.

They sat in silence for a while before Luz felt the question slip out of her mouth. "Have you already smoked before?" she asked, then covered her mouth. "Sorry I didn't mean to intrude; it's just you look like a natural." she explained, blushing slightly. Amity giggled and started to explain.

"I used to smoke, that's one of the reasons why my parents hate me so much. The other reason is because I'm gay. Anyways, I've been smoking since I was around 14 years old, my ex Bosha got me into it. I can't really stop now that I have started, but to be honest I don't really want to. I like the calmness it gives me." Amity explained, Luz nodded then pulled out a little black box.

"Did you smoke weed? If you like the calmness cigarettes give you then you'll like the 4 houses calm the weed will give you unless you're a giggler." Luz asked. Amity smiled; she hasn't had weed in a fat minute. She was a giggler though, her sister told her that. Her brother never liked weed because it made his heart pound, but her sister loved the stuff because it had the opposite effect on her.

Luz turned the top of the little circle black box then got out some of the paper and poured the grains from inside the box into the paper. She then put the box away and rolled up the paper making a cigarette like stick. When she lit it, she took a few hits then passed it over to Amity, she hit it a couple times and sighed.