CHAPTER 75 - USELESS TIME TRAVELER

CHAPTER 75 – USELESS TIME TRAVELER

LYSANDER FARADEISS

The Daybreaker Squad found themselves summoned to the new Chevalier Unit Office in the Empire's Sanctuary the day after the grand party. Seated around the expansive rectangular table were Hiraya, Kate, Charlotte, Gaeun, and myself, occupying a significant portion of the available seats in the conference room.

My evident lack of enthusiasm for the meeting was displayed through a series of yawns. The previous night's revelry had extended until the early hours of the morning, leaving me with insufficient sleep. Yawning persistently, I struggled to maintain focus as the meeting began.

"Captain?" Kate's voice cut through the air, her red eyes betraying a hint of fear. Trembling, she spoke, "Am I in trouble?"

Charlotte, exuding sass, interjected, "Considering the scandal you caused last night, trouble is an understatement."

Kate let out a distressed squeak before turning to Hiraya, a pleading expression on her face. "Captain, you'll defend me, right?"

Hiraya, with a forced smile, responded, "Hahaha. Since you're being too polite with me, I'll do my best to talk you out of Madam Corasell's wrath. But for now, brace yourself for the consequences."

The conference room's door swung open with a sudden creak, and in stepped Madam Corasell and Eva. Their military uniforms bore badges of honor and distinction. But Eva's attire was an unexpected contrast: instead of the usual combat gear, she appeared as a fairy, complete with a shimmering wand. For this duo, such an ensemble seemed oddly fitting.

"Apologies for the delay, Daybreaker Squad," Madam Corasell's voice carried authority, her gaze sweeping the room.

Kate sprang to her feet, her posture impeccable. "Good morning, Madam Corasell." With a graceful motion, she offered her hand to guide their leader to a seat, her fingers instinctively finding their way to the Madam's tense shoulders. "May I offer you some refreshments? Coffee, perhaps? Or tea?"

A soft smile graced Madam Corasell's lips. "Your thoughtfulness is appreciated, Kate. A cup of chamomile tea would be perfect."

"Right away, Madam," Kate replied, her steps swift as she vanished into the adjoining pantry, intent on brewing the finest chamomile.

Leaning forward, Madam Corasell intertwined her fingers, her eyes narrowing ever so slightly. "Let's address the pressing matter I overheard last night." She paused, then added, "And do hurry back, Kate. This discussion requires your insight."

A sharp gasp echoed from the pantry, where Kate's frantic movements caused beads of sweat to trickle down her forehead. She fumbled with the contraption, a magical tea machine, hoping it would produce the desired chamomile concoction quickly. With a shaky grip, she carried the brimming cup into the room, a few droplets escaping its rim on her way.

"Your tea, Madam," Kate stammered, extending the cup with an unsteady hand.

"Please, have a seat," Madam Corasell's voice remained composed, her smile unwavering.

Nodding vigorously, Kate scurried to a chair, settling next to Hiraya, whose attempt to soothe her by holding her hand went unnoticed. The tension in the air was palpable, with Kate's anxiety casting a shadow over the room.

Madam Corasell's gaze shifted to the conference table's center, her eyes narrowing slightly. "It appears someone from the Daybreaker Squad has something weighing heavily on their conscience," she remarked, her tone measured.

Kate's face paled, and she immediately prostrated herself. "I deeply regret letting my emotions get the better of me! I never intended to harm a duke! Please spare my bonus and 13th-month pay, Madam!"