'Let the Games Begin!'

Jason POV

Ares had told me the day after I informed Jackson that his brother Triton was training him, which sadly meant that he would know what to do in the Games on 1st July rather than be simply an oblivious opponent that he usually is. Ares had assured me that Triton had not seen many Olympics, and so he was inept. I kneeled before the my father's statue before leaving for the arena. 

I entered to see that the whole camp had come. It wasn't compulsory to watch; I had just pasted a poster on the arena's wall about the date and the competitors. Several wanted to see us compete. I saw Clarisse, the Stolls, Grover Underwood and several other older campers sitting with Annabeth. I knew their loyalties were like dry wood, waiting for a spark. And I had thought of what to say. 

Jackson had arrived too. He stood opposite me, and flashed a smile. I gave him back a weak smile. Ares had trained me very hard these 3 days. He was furious to know that Poseidon had interfered with this. I wisely didn't point out that he and Zeus had done the same. 

My father appeared in a flash of lightning in traditional Greek robes. He had talked to me last night and informed me that the arena was ready. He stood there silently. I glanced at Jackson and saw him scoff, and mouth something like showoff. I was more determined to beat him today. 

Malcolm Pace started reading out the rules, being the referee. I had talked him into it, since I was sure if Annabeth took it up, she may notice irregularities. The rules were mostly common sense and about playing fair, but I had still memorised them. Rules were made for a reason. 

He read the order of the games; Ranged events, including discus, javelin and archery first, next was the stade, after which were combat sports, wresting and boxing. Ares had instructed me to hold the games in this order. He had said he had planned something, and seeing how dramatic he was, I knew I was better off following him. Then Malcolm bowed, profferring for my father to speak. 

Zeus greeted everybody in his baritone, and then turned to me and Jackson. "Since you two are demigods, I would need you two to swear an oath to not use your powers intentionally, and to play fair" Jackson and I swore the oath, and walked forward until we were 6 feet from each other. "The victor would receive the traditional olive wreath, and, for a modern flair, a new position of leadership at Camp Half-Blood known as the Eternal Hero. If anyone has any objections, kindly raise them now"

I looked around. Jackson looked like he wanted to object. What, scared to lose your position? Everyone looked at Annabeth, waiting for what she would say. It was an unsaid fact that he, Jackson and Annabeth were the most capable to lead Camp. Since two of us were already in the competition, Annabeth had to voice her opinion. 

She simply smiled, "I agree to this. These two are very capable, and besides, if I was straight up asked to lead, I would have turned it down; I already have a lot on my hands" It was as planned. Zeus smiled. 

He blessed us both, because of which we glowed with a faint bluish glow. I didn't feel a surge of strength like I had from Ares, so this was weaker. Zeus nodded and bellowed, "LET THE GAMES BEGIN!"

Before he was gone, Jackson yelled, "THAT WAS MAHOGANY"

Somewhere from the stand, Annabeth yelled, "TIME OUT! PERCY YOU READ THE BOOKS?"

Percy smiled sheepishly, "Um, yeah. A while back. Anyways" he turned to face me, as Zeus pinched the bridge of his nose as h disappeared. 

I turned and gave Jackson a genuine smile. "Shall we?"