It was an enigma Winter for the life of her would never figure out.

Just like what to wear for her date with Karina.

She hadn't asked Ning, in favor of letting the girl recuperate (straight-up rejection is easier to get over than quiet ignorance and blatant liking of someone else) so she was left alone. Also, asking Ning about something romance-related right now wasn't to be advised, although Ning did know about the date.

In the end, she decided on leaving her shoulder-length wavy red hair down. As for clothing, she picked out a beige merino wool sweater over a collared white shirt and acid wash jeans.

She checked the time. It was Saturday and 12:27 p.m. Her date with Karina was at 1.

Winter grabbed her bag and walked out into the fresh afternoon air towards her mother's car. It was a cool afternoon in February. Ironically, it had been nearly a month since she'd first started texting Yooji.

God, why did she always think about that mysterious girl?

Maybe because you want her.

No, no. Of course not.

Yes, you do, Winter. You know you do.

Stop, stop, no. It could be some weird girl in her class, anyway. She didn't pay much attention to the AP Lit roster.

(Except Karina Yu.)

Which was why, as Winter pulled out of the driveway at 12:32 p.m., the only person on her mind was the girl she was going to meet.

She got there early, at 12:42, and so she waited for a bit until 12:50, having miniature panic attacks every few seconds- is she coming? Is she not coming? Where is she?

And then she saw the car. 

Winter was sure it was the prettiest car she'd ever seen; a red Prius Prime, sleek and shiny with gloss that alone probably cost more than Winter's entire house did. It drove light as air, smooth and humming a perfect sound that buzzed into Winter's ears as it pulled into a driving spot on the street.

Several heads turned at the sight, but the person who left the car only had eyes for Winter.

Karina was dressed in a long black coat, wearing a cropped white silk dress shirt that exposed a perfect figure and pale skin. She wore blue skinny jeans that showed off her long, slim legs, and Winter was pretty sure her throat went dry just looking at her.

"Hey," Karina smiled, and the passersby were staring again, probably wondering who's that girl and why does the girl next to her look nothing like her and not-

"How are you?"

"Oh! Um, me?" Winter snapped out of her trance. She hadn't realized she'd been zoning off gazing at Karina until the other girl gave her an anxious smile. Winter smiled awkwardly and nodded assent. "I'm good. How are you?"

"Good, thank you," Karina said as they walked towards the restaurant, which was one of Winter's favorites; a warm-lighted place called Kyuramen. It was a chain, and in fact was very popular across Japan and the US, meaning that it made good food, which it did.

"You look... amazing," Winter blurted out as they found a table towards the back, and her blush only intensified as Karina looked up to give her a soft smile, backlit by the golden light of the restaurant and wow, she looked really really beautiful.

"Thank you, so do you."

Winter just blushed even more as they both sat, and she folded her hands anxiously in her lap, but Karina struck a conversation that surprisingly flowed easily.

"What's your favorite food? Ramen, I'd assume?"

"Yeah," Winter admitted, the atmosphere suddenly making her feel very at ease. "I really like ramen. Instant ramen especially. It's really good, and I love the flavor packs- sorry," she cut herself off. "You probably didn't want to hear about all that."

"No, tell me more," Karina replied, laughing a little, and Winter couldn't help realizing how she truly looked interested in what Winter was saying.

And also that she looks ethereally gorgeous. That's not fair.

So they continued to talk about their favorite foods until a server arrived and took their orders. Tonkotsu ramen specifically was Winter's favorite, and surprisingly Karina went with what Winter was ordering.

Oh, right. Winter remembered seeing Karina at Kyuramen before; Karina had gotten the tonkotsu as well then too.

Wait.

Didn't I also see Yooji at Kyuramen before? But I didn't know who she was?

"By any chance, do you know anyone who's been here before, but doesn't really eat ramen?" Winter asked, wincing inwardly at the strange question. "I... um... want to help recommend... this place."

Karina smiled, not picking up on the awkwardness. "Me, actually. I've been here quite a lot, but I don't really eat ramen. I really like the tonkotsu, though."

Oh God.

A girl in my AP Lit class.

How could I be so slow?

Yu. Yoo. I'm such an idiot.

"Do you, have an, um, Korean name? Mine's Minjeong."

"Minjeong is a beautiful name," Karina complimented with an easy smile. "Mine's Jimin."

Winter's heartbeat tripped over itself after that.

Yu Jimin.

Yoo Jimin.

Yoo Ji. 

Yooji.