attention

❝ drop the question, drop the, drop the question

want attention, wanna want attention ❞

‒ newjeans, ' attention '

winter pov

Winter skipped across the field towards Ning, jumping on the staring girl with a hug.

Ning, who'd been staring at Aeri, who was sitting reading on the bleachers, did a high-note yelp that Winter was sure did wonders for any unbreakable glass in the area. "What the- oh, Win!"

Winter laughed. "Peeping again?"

"Someone's happy," Ning grumped. "And I'm not peeping. She's right there in public view, you know. Anyone could just walk by and admire her... I guess..."

"But only you could pick out her exact schedule and tell me what book she's reading," Winter sighed, rolling her eyes.

Ning perked up, her blond hair bouncing as the two girls made their way off the field exits, preparing to head home after a long day. "She had AP Chemistry first period. I don't think she likes it, though, 'cause there's that guy that's crushing on her in it. What's his name again?"

"Uhh... Mark?"

"Right! He likes her. And she's quiet. Introverted, so she's not into that stuff. And the book she's reading is called No Longer Human-"

"Okay, stalker," Winter interjected before it got weird, dragging Ning into the school parking lot towards her SUV.

Winter's Toyota SUV was pristine and bright white. The inside had been personalized by Winter, as seen by the white steering wheel cover, freshener and charms hanging from the rear view mirror, and seven vinyl stickers on the passenger seat window.

Actually, it was Winter's father's car legally, but he let her drive it to school and back most days, like today.

Ning was protesting that she wasn't stalking Aeri, she was just curious, when Winter's phone buzzed and her heart rate blasted upward.

Yooji, who she'd actually been texting nonstop for the past few days, was starting to be a mix of a source of comfort and a top-notch free tutor. They (although Winter was nearly certain it was a she) had been texting her homework advice, sites to find evidence and quotes, and even giving her tips on what to include because the teachers would eat it up. In short, Winter's AP Lit grades were slowly but steadily rising.

Her other grades, however? Not so fantastic.

She shook that thought out of her mind and checked the text, internally smiling when she saw who it was.

[ 1 New Message ]

[ 2:37 PM ]

yooji❓

Hey, how did your assignment go?

Winter moved to reply, but a hand snatched the phone away.

Ning was sighing at her, both of them in the two front seats of Winter's car.

"Still texting that random?"

"Hey," Winter defended. "They- she- Yooji isn't a random. They're... I've seen them before."