Chapter Thirteen

Lorelei sprinted through the corridors of the academy, dodging other students and narrowly avoiding a collision with a giant statue of a man dressed in ancient armor carved with intricate patterns and symbols. Gilliam chased after her, managing to freeze the statue just in time to prevent it from falling. They were already late, and they knew Dorales would be furious. She had called an emergency meeting with the other courts. Gilliam insisted that she knew a shortcut to get there which landed them somewhere down several winding staircases and near a putrid smelling dungeon.

When they finally caught up with the rest of the group, they stopped outside a bleak, windowless room engulfed in an abyss of darkness, with walls painted a lifeless black that seemed to suck away any warmth or light.

Lorelei muttered an apology when Dorales glared down at them through her spectacles.

"This room," Dorales began, "is called the Memory Glass. It allows us to access the memories of those who summon its magic."

"I don't see any glass," Wade interjected, earning a stern glare from Dorales.

"That's because the Memory Glass is an illusion," she continued. "It shows us the memories of those who have called upon its magic. I've brought you all here today for a little history lesson."

She ushered them inside. The group fell silent, their faces contorted with emotions from creased brows of concern to outright looks of terror. Dorales closed the door, their only source of light snuffed out.

Suddenly, a blue, silvery mist rose from the top of Dorale's head and spread throughout the room. Images began to appear on the walls, depicting all manner of creatures and fae in silver, gold, and red armor, locked in combat with flames and fire all around them. Then, it changed to a scene of a great room with pillars and a pool of liquid in the center. Figures stood around the pool. One particular fae caught Lorelei's attention: a pale figure with white hair and a suit of armor adorned with emeralds. Horns and velvet wings protruded from the armor, and his eyes glowed red.

He stared into the pool, his eyes fixated on the misty, shimmering liquid that swirled inside. Kinna, Karryghan, and Dorales were there, but they looked younger, almost like they were from a different time altogether.

The air in the room crackled with tension as they discussed the future world they hoped to shape with the magic pool. Some were visibly agitated, their nerves seemingly frayed, while others practically trembled with anticipation. A handful stood back, seeming indifferent to the possibilities that lay before them.

"The creation of the Realms," Dorales said.

Their next vision was in a place she didn't recognize. It was a never-ending space of darkness but was gone as quickly as it had come, and she could see the creations through the spans of time. There was peace, prosperity, and innovation. She saw five fae getting a crown, symbols of the elements on their robes.

The vision moved again to fire and brimstone.

Dorales spoke through the silence, recounting the history of the Old Age War, the war that tore the realms apart. Lorelei listened intently, her eyes scanning the passing images on the walls, searching for someone.

Dorales told them about Chaos, a powerful force from the Orisha gods that fueled the magical abilities of the fae and had been at the center of the conflict. Fae had been practicing with forbidden magic, and as a result, the realms changed. Magicless fae were born, and dark creatures started to pop up in the shadows. Elsivier, descendant of the first Fallen Aether, had convinced many of them that those magicless fae were responsible for polluting the Chaos, causing it to become unstable and dangerous. They believed that the pure magical fae were dying because of it. As a result, fights broke out, distrust was sewn, and many fae ended up leaving for the mortal world, fearing for their lives. Elsivier started an entire movement.