CHAPTER SEVEN: Disciplinary Hearing

KYLE

SHE LEFT. SHE really left. I knew that before I opened my eyes. I was hit with a sickening emptiness when I didn't feel her presence anywhere in the room. That wave of warmth, fire actually- that I associated with Amanda's calming, contagious and all consuming aura wasn't in proximity. I felt her inside me like the blood in my veins. The air I breathed and the beat of my heart. So of course it would make sense that I would know when she wasn't there.

How could anyone not know when their heart wasn't beating?

She was part of my soul. My existence depended fully on hers. I pushed back the tears that threatened to tear me apart from already missing her. Although last night the two of us were in sync, I wasn't dumb to mistake her momentary weakness as anything more than what it actually was. A momentary weakness.

I knew exactly the type of woman she was. But I hoped that I hadn't pushed her too hard.

Last night had been perfect. Just like any moment I spent with her. I smiled thinking of everything that took place and I realised that although I felt a crushing weight in my chest from knowing she wasn't mine anymore, half of it had lifted off of me. The day ahead wasn't as scary as it had been for a while. I was ready to man up to my responsibilities just like she had so gently pointed out. She was my cure that I needed. Just like she had been.

After our separation, seeing her from afar had pushed me forward more than Samantha or anyone else ever had. Her presence kept my sanity intact. Otherwise I would have crumbled from the pressure.

The others may have helped me cross the threshold, but Amanda had always been my guiding light. My inspiration. She was my north. Doing something we were both so passionate about had brought purpose and made me feel closer to her. She's HER. And no one was ever going to take her away from my soul.

That optimism accompanied me as I walked into the hospital. I nearly couldn't recognise myself with how much weight I had lost but I was grateful it wasn't that bad. Smiles and happiness greeted me all the way to my floor. It was nice to be welcomed in a positive manner into a place you considered more than just a workplace.

"Come in."

Samantha said as I knocked on her door. I popped my head around first to see her busy on her computer. As elegantly poised as ever. I could never describe Samantha without adding elegance in there. That word went hand in hand with her.

"Hey."

She pulled her glasses off with a grim expression.

"I'm happy to see you took my advice."

Sadly her advice had nothing to do with my appearance but I couldn't exactly tell her that to her face, for obvious reasons.

"I did actually. Take the advice seriously I mean."

I hadn't exactly lied. I had taken the advice seriously. Not hers but Amanda's. But she didn't need to know that.

"I'm glad. But I'll advice you again. Don't repeat what you did. This is something I didn't expect from you. I never knew you to be so careless and irresponsible. Don't make me question your loyalty and dedication. You know how much I value this hospital. I have to know that it's in capable hands."