seven

Treacherous

DELILAH'S HEART HAD turned to ice

DELILAH'S HEART HAD turned to ice. It froze over like a pond during winter. Numb, she stared out the window as snow fell to the slipper ground. Liberty had been with Debbie today. She was sick of sitting around while Delilah moped around.

Delilah sighed and straightened when she heard someone open the door. It had only been Ian who seemed nonchalant as he had opened the door. His features seemed anxious as he looked around the house, trying to see if anyone is home.

"It's just me," Delilah told him, staring at his now relaxed posture. She sighed and looked back toward the Gallagher house. "How was work today?"

"Good. It would've been better if you showed. I told Kash you've been throwing up all night," Ian told her and Delilah sniffled, uninterested in what her had to say. "Why didn't you come?"

"I didn't feel like it," Delilah responded making Ian sigh. He took off his coat and sat beside the girl as she stared out of the window, ignoring him. "Is there any particular reason why you're here?"

"Mandy told me what she saw," Ian answered honestly. Delilah's stomach lurched at those words.

"What'd she see?" Delilah asked, a slight twinkle was in her eye as she stared back. The twinkle was the salty tears that collected at her waterline.

"She heard a thud. Like someone had fallen, so she stuck around to see whether or not they'd be caught. Then she saw Anthony come out and then you. With a bloody head," he explained and his eyes flickered up to the bandage on her forehead. "She thinks he pushed you. She heard yelling."

"I fell. We were having sex and I fell— not that it's any of your business. Anthony and I are just really— loud. Okay?" Delilah tried to lie, but the way her voice shook and her eyes darted around gave her away.

"Delilah—"

"No don't. You switch me out for skank ass Mandy Milkovich, and then you believe her word over mine," Delilah bellowed and Ian backed up with his hands raised.

"It isn't like that, you know what her brother's would've done. And it isn't like you've been around. You don't know anything and you don't care to," Ian yelled back and his eyes softened when Delilah let out a sob.

"I do care," she yelped.

Embarrassed, she wiped away her tears as she stared back at Ian. His features were relaxed, yet pained as the girl let out another small sob.

Delilah hadn't really been one to show her emotions. It seemed like something that happened only when she was drunk or truly crushed. Since not a drop of alcohol had been her system, Ian knew it was serious.

She was enveloped by his arms. He gently pulled her in close. Her shaky fingers gripped the back of his shirt. She'd been stressed, confused, and frustrated about her life and sometimes small things made it worse.