Chapter Five | Throwing green beans at distasteful individuals

Start from the beginning

More Than a Home. Out of all the charities, it was that one. Patty looks at me, then back at Xavier. Then back at me. I feel my whole posture stiffen and it suddenly feels cold in here.

"Did I say something wrong?" He wonders, looking between me and Patty.

"No, honey bun," Patty pipes up. She gives me a knowing look. She wants me to tell him. Why would I tell him? "I'm going to head to bed. I have an early coffee date with my girls from bingo. I need a good night's rest. You kids stay here and chat. I'm a heavy sleeper."

She bustles around the counter and kisses my cheek. "You should tell him."

I don't react or even say anything as she walks away. I take a bite of my food and sit in silence next to Xavier.

"The food tastes good," I tell him and he smiles.

"It was all Patty," he tells me. I know it was. I just wanted to give him credit.

"Question," Xavier offers. I look at him before I nod, letting him know it's okay. "What made you move here?"

"I've always lived here. I guess not always in the city, but very close"

"How did you meet Patty?" he asks and I smile.

"Well," I begin. "I got my first apartment when I was 20 and in my sophomore year of nursing school. I was a mess. If my head wasn't attached to my body I'm sure I would lose it. I was bringing up what had to be two months worth of groceries down the hall and dropped all of the bags. I had just gotten called out by a professor for being in the wrong class. So, here I am in the hallway on all fours trying not to cry, and standing in front of me is Patty. She helped me pick everything up and load it into my fridge and pantries. Ever since she's looked out for me."

Xavier is smiling as I tell the story. "That's sweet. More wholesome than you seem."

"You don't think I'm wholesome?"

"Do you even think that?" he counters and I smile slightly. "That's what I thought."

"I'm sorry I'm not all rainbow and sunshine all the time."

"Why did you and Patty get so quiet when I mentioned the charity?" he asks suddenly.

My heart drops and my eyes go wide.

Lie lie lie. Just lie, Sterling.

"Because we've heard of the charity before, volunteered a few times, and their magical anonymous donor. We were shocked that it was you. You've done a lot for those kids," I cover up and take a bite of my food.

He stares at me while I do so. I know he doesn't believe me. I can feel it. He lets it go and takes a sip of his wine. His face knots up in a twist and I smirk at his immediate reaction.

"Rosé is not what it's made out to be," he says, disgust wiping across his face.

"Don't be dramatic. It's only for tasteful individuals," I assure him.

"Are you calling me distasteful?"

"Yes," I reply without hesitation.

A green bean hits my face and I freeze. I turn my head and look at Xavier and cock my head. He has this stupid grin plastered on his face. He shrugs and goes to continue eating his food but I throw a green bean back at him.

"What was that for?"

I widen my eyes. "Are you really asking me that?" I throw another one and another. "You threw a green bean at me first."

"Sterling! Enough!"

I laugh and keep throwing them anyway and he moves towards me to grab my hands to stop. My laugh dies down and I shake my hair out of my face. Looking up, I realize how close Xavier is to me. He is looking down at me with a smirk on his face. His hands are locked around my wrists and he doesn't seem to be letting go anytime soon.