chapter sixteen

"I'm starting to get worried."

"Don't think too deep into this, babe. Maybe they're just having a long screaming match."

"For forty seven minutes?"

"I-" The front door slams shut. "Here she comes now."

The bedroom door flies open. Sky walks past us and slams her keys on the dresser.

"Um, hello?" She turns around and looks at me. "Yeah, you. What's up? Did you forget about me?"

"Sorry." She rubs her neck.

"So, how'd it go?"

"What?"

"Don't joke. Hayden."

"Oh, yeah. Hayden."

"Well?" I ball my hands, shaking them impatiently.

"Okay, I suppose."

"Just okay? Sky, you were there for nearly an hour. Seriously, what happened over there?"

"Nothing."

"Really? Because, you can't even look me in the eyes, and you only ever look down when you're hiding something. Now, tell me! What happened?"

She mumbles incoherently, so low that I can't make out the words. "Speak up!"

"We had sex."

"What?"

"We-"

"Don't you fucking repeat it! How could you? Did you just happen to forget what he did to me?"

"Don't you think that you're overreacting? I mean, he didn't even do anything. This whole situation really does just seem like a misunderstanding."

"I can't believe what I'm hearing right now! What happened to all of that shit you were talking earlier? You're supposed to be my best friend! How the fuck can you stand here and tell me that I'm overreacting? You weren't there! And just because he gave you some of his baby carrot, don't think that you know anything, because I can promise you that you don't! Then again, what was I thinking? I don't expect for a slut to understand."

"You of all people don't get to call me that!"

"It's the truth! The moment a guy gives you any kind of attention, you drop the things that actually matter and become so damn blindsided by their dick!"

"That's not-"

"Bullshit! How could you?! I trusted you and you're taking his side!"

I rub my hands over my face as I groan into them. "What else? Huh? Did he tell you that he loved you? Promised you the world to get you in bed with him?"

"It wasn't like that."

"Then, what was it like?!" Because, I'm not fucking seeing it, Sky!"

"Stop talking to me like I'm one of your little bitches!"

"Well, then, don't be a little bitch!"

"Fuck you, Ry." My hand flies across her face and she holds her cheek.

"Looks like your little boyfriend already did that."

"Get out!"

"With pleasure." I shove past her and grab the car keys. I open the door, running down the staircase.

I descend down the last few steps as I feel someone grab my arm. "Leave me alone!"

"It's me." I turn around and see Angel.