chapter eight

I was tossing and turning, the urge to pee woke me from my deep sleep. I slowly creep out of bed, careful not to wake Sky. I slowly turn the knob, opening it inch by inch as it creaked. I go down the hall and close the bathroom door.

After I leave the bathroom, I walk to the kitchen to get some water. Bad choice, I know, but my throat's dry, okay? Anyway, I grab a stool and stand on it. I always do this whenever there isn't anyone around to help me. I hate being short. I open the cabinet and pick up a glass, nearly stumbling back when a voice startles me.

"Need some help?"

It was Roman.

"No thanks, I got it." I said, jumping off the stool with the glass still in my grip.

He stood against a counter and I walk over to the sink, filling the glass not even halfway.

"Can't sleep?" He asked.

I shake my head. "What gave it away?"

He chuckled. "You?"

"No. Look, I don't know if Sky's told you, but we got into an argument and it's been hard on me. I hate not talking to my little girl."

I nodded. "She told me earlier."

There was a few seconds of silence before he licked his lips and spoke again.

"What do you think I should do?"

"Roman, I love you, but I don't feel comfortable getting in the middle of your guys' situation. This is between you and Sky, not me. Try to look at this from her perspective. It's never going to be easy watching some woman who's not her mother walking around your house. Just ask yourself, which one do you care more about, Sky, or the women? Should be no competition, but at least you'll have your answer."

He sighed. "I know."

"Then you know what you have to do."

"And what's that?"

"When you're ready, talk to her. Really talk to her."

"Yeah. I'll talk to her when I get home. I actually have to get ready now since I pulled an extra shift."

I nodded and walk closer, hugging him. "Goodnight."

"Night, sweetie."

I drank my water and head back upstairs. Sky is on her back, snoring. I tiptoe over to my side and slowly climb under the covers. I turn on my right side and cuddle against my pillow, attempting to drift off.

"You're back." Sky said against my neck.

"Hey."

"You okay? I've been rolling onto your empty side for a while."

"Yeah, I was just talking to your dad."

"Oh. About what?"

"You."

"Great."

I reach behind me and grab her hand, "N-no, it wasn't like that. He was telling me that he'd try to talk to you tonight since he's getting ready right now."

"Fun."

"Hey, I'll be here too, so if you need me when it's time, say the word and I'm there."

She lightly squeezes my hand. "Thanks, babe."

"You know I'm always here for you."

"I love you." She said as she wraps her arms around my waist and closes in our remaining distance as she rests her head on mine.

"I love you more."

I could hear her soft breath against my ear. It's almost soothing. I close my eyes and drift into darkness.