chapter nine

"You scaredy cat." Sky teased me. I had just told her about my little episode at Angel's.

"Am not! It's just been a while since I've seen it."

She laughed. "Sure. Just like that time you screamed when Chucky jumped onto Kyle's back?"

I sighed. "If you don't shut up, I'm going to hit you with this pillow." I warn her.

"Oh no, I'm so scared."

"Okay." I mutter and jump on her bed, landing on top of her. I continuously hit her face and stomach as she tried shielding her body, but it was no use. We were a giggling mess.

I got off her. "Truce?" I asked out of breath.

"Fine. You're no fun." She stuck her tongue out. I look at her. Her hair is a disheveled mess and her breathing is rugged.

"Whatever. You know you love me."

"Yes, I do." She kissed my cheek. "Loser," she added.

"Doofus." I retorted.

"Ouch." She put a hand over her chest, feigning hurt.

"Oh hush, you faker." I hit her once more with the pillow.

She straightens her posture and fixes her hair to no avail. "So, you guys going out again tomorrow?"

I shake my head. "No. I was actually going to ask you if you wanted to do something. Just the two of us."

She nodded. "Sure. Where do you want to go?"

I shake my head, smiling. "I'm leaving that up to you. We're doing whatever it is you want to do."

She practically squeals. "I have just the thing."

"Let's hear it."

"You'll have to wait until tomorrow."

I groaned. "Come on, Sky. You know I hate surprises."

She laughed. "I know. That's why it's perfect. Besides, I know you're going to love it."

"Ooh. Guess my fate lies in your hands then."

"Mhm. Now come here." She pats the empty side next to her. "I miss you sleeping in my bed."

I chuckled as I crawl over. "Me too."

"What is it?" Sky stares at me intently.

"I missed this too."

"Missed w-" She cut me off with her lips smashed against mine. Her thumb runs along my jaw as she places one last soft kiss on my lips before pulling away.

"Sorry. Hope I didn't freak you out."

"N-no. You just took me by surprise is all."

"Well then, you're in for an even bigger surprise."

"What do you mean?"

She sighed as she looked down. "You know I love you, right?"

"Yeah. And I love you."

"No." She shook her head. "Ryder, I love you. So fucking much. And it hurts to have to pretend every day that I'm not just so I won't ruin what we have."

My eyes widen. Fuck! Tell me I'm dreaming. Someone slap me now. Great, now I'm talking to myself. In my own head. As if anyone's going to answer. Great, Ryder.

"And now you're freaking out."

"No, I'm not."

"You've been like this a little over a minute. It's okay, Ry. You know you can always be honest with me. I can take it."