chapter ten

I groan when I see light beaming through the curtains. I violently hit the bedside table, attempting to find the alarm clock. It's currently 10:47 am. I bury my face into the pillow and groan before forcing myself to get out of bed. I take a shower, brush my teeth, and pick out an outfit.

Since I don't know the occasion, I decide to keep it simple. A white tank top with Hello Kitty on the front, a pink mini skirt with white converses, and my natural curls confined in a high bun. I steal one last glance of myself and grab my phone as I head downstairs.

"Morning, sleepy head." Sky greeted.

"Morning."

"You ready?"

"Yeah, but where are we going?"

"Ah ah ah." She raises a finger. "What's a surprise if the person it's for already knows?"

I sigh and put my hands up. "Fine. Let's go. I'm too curious."

"Relax, will you? It'll be worth it."

Sky grabs her keys from the couch and turns to me. "When I start driving, I'm going to need you to keep your eyes closed so you won't peek. If people see your face being covered, they will think I'm kidnapping you."

I laughed. "You have my word."

We leave the house and Sky locks the door while I make my way to the passenger seat. She climbs in her side and starts the engine. I take my cue and close my eyes.

Sky starts driving and I'm suddenly nervous. My anxiety is already bad, so having to not be able to see inside of a moving vehicle, freaks me out even more. I ignore my jitters and start to nod off, but soon shake off the feeling. Minutes later, Sky lightly shakes my shoulder.

"We're here."

I open my eyes and look out the window. We're parked outside of the First Watch. It's a diner Sky and I would frequently go to back in high school. We haven't been here in two months, so seeing it again sent a familiar tingle down my spine.

"Surprised?" Sky giggled.

I turn and look at her, suddenly pulling her into a hug. "I can't believe it, it's been forever."

"I know. And like I said, I knew you would love it."

I pull apart and hold her hands. "I do love it. It's been a while since we've been here, so I'm glad you remembered."

"Of course I remember. We had some fun times here. Besides, I could never forget it. You have no idea how special this place is to me because of you."

"Me?"

"Yes, you. I remember the day you first brought me here. It was the week after my mom died. You were worried about me and wanted me out of the house. You said you knew a place and that it was one of your favorite places to escape to because it was so quiet and had lovely owners."

"Yeah, well I'm glad I brought you here. It's another place we have to ourselves where the world can't find us, and I get to share it all with you."

Sky starts crying and pulls me into a hug. "I love you so fucking much."

I bring her closer, my hand in her hair. "I love you more."

Seconds later, she pulls away and wipes her eyes before taking a deep breath. "Let's go. I can't wait to see Ella."

"Sky, are you sure you're okay to go in?"

She nodded. "I'm fine, really. Just old memories coming back."

"You know I'm here for you, right?"

"Yes, and I appreciate it."

I smiled. "Good. Let's go."