Chapter 27: Mito's Advice

Start from the beginning

As school dismissal approached, Minato observed Kushina leaving without even bothering to pick up her textbooks, his thoughts drifting to the midday incident. Turning to Tatsuma, he remarked:

"Tatsuma, I won't be attending training tonight. I'm concerned that Kushina might run into some trouble."

In response, Tatsuma nodded. Minato's perceptiveness is remarkable, no wonder he managed to capture Kushina's heart at the tender age of fourteen.

"Go on ahead then. I'll help you gather your books."

"Thank you so much."

Minato expressed his gratitude with a appreciative smile before swiftly departing the classroom.

Later that evening, in the Hokage's office, Sarutobi Hiruzen employed the Crystal Ball to execute the Telescope Jutsu. He observed Kushina entangled in a conflict with the Genin brother of the student from noon. Alarmed, he turned to Uzumaki Mito beside him and inquired:

"Mito-sama, is this approach truly suitable? If Kushina perceives Konoha's actions as rejection, fostering a sense of belonging might prove difficult for her."

Uzumaki Mito shook her head and replied, "Hiruzen, don't you see? To integrate Kushina into Konoha, we must regard her as one of our own. If not for today's events concerning Kushina, would you have even taken notice?"

"But..."

Sarutobi Hiruzen harbored lingering concerns; after all, Kushina held a pivotal role in the village's future. However, Mito interjected, "Love and hate are like peace and war. To attain peace, one must endure the pains of war. To gain love, understanding hatred is imperative. In comparison to what Kushina faces now, her future burdens will be even weightier. Just look at that blond kid over there; he seems more composed than you. The boy's name is Minato Namikaze, correct?"

Uzumaki Mito shifted her gaze to the Crystal Ball, where Minato observed the unfolding events from behind a sizable tree. A trace of admiration glinted in her eyes. Prior to Kushina's arrival, she had implored Sarutobi Hiruzen to select individuals who could be suitable companions for Kushina.

Among the recommendations put forth by Sarutobi Hiruzen, Uzumaki Mito held the highest regard for Minato Namikaze and Sakamoto Tatsuma. However, it appeared that the white-haired boy exhibited minimal interest in Kushina.

Observing through the Crystal Ball as Kushina forcefully tugged at her own hair and proceeded to deliver a resolute beating to the Genin, Uzumaki Mito felt a gratifying sense of vindication witnessing the Genin's struggle to fend her off.

Yet, she chose not to linger and remarked, "I'm heading back. Please ensure my directives are well accommodated in the future."

"Of course, Mito-sama. Have a safe journey. Keep us informed of any further instructions," replied Sarutobi Hiruzen with utmost respect.

Sarutobi Hiruzen escorted Uzumaki Mito as she took her leave. Upon her return home, Kushina had also arrived, though she remained elusive to Uzumaki Mito. Instead, she had sought refuge in her room, engulfed in incessant tears.

Uzumaki Mito patiently waited, and as the hour for the evening meal passed, she ventured into Kushina's room. Gently opening the door, she discovered Kushina swiftly concealing her tear-streaked face beneath the covers.

Rather than rushing to inquire, Uzumaki Mito approached the bedside and settled herself. After a moment of silent companionship, as Kushina's emotions gradually found stability under the covers, she spoke, "I'm aware of today's events."

Upon hearing this, Kushina beneath the covers lapsed into a momentary silence before timidly poking her head out, her expression marked by distress. "Grandma Mito, why do they all bully me? Just because I'm an outsider?" she queried.

Uzumaki Mito tenderly tousled Kushina's vibrant red hair, its texture finer than that of ordinary strands. Shaking her head, she reassured, "No, Kushina, they're not bullying you because you're an outsider. It's more like they're afraid of you. It's akin to having cats at home; when you introduce a new one, the resident cats might join forces to tease the newcomer. It's not because they enjoy tormenting the new addition, but they fear the newcomer might challenge their established position."

"Just as you mentioned, aspiring to become the Hokage is quite similar. There's only one position for the Hokage, and if you succeed, it implies others may perceive it as their failure, thus, they become fearful," Uzumaki Mito elucidated.

"Really?"

After wiping away her tears, Kushina inquired, "So, what should I do?"

"What should you do?" Uzumaki Mito tenderly ran her fingers through the hair behind Kushina's head, squinted her eyes, and suggested, "Find the fattest cat in the group, give it a good beating, and the other cats will start listening to you."

"You're referring to..."

"The blond fellow you're not fond of and another white-haired kid – they're the cream of the crop. Best them, and you'll be the undisputed champion."

----

Check out my patreon for more advanced chapters up to 50 at patreon.com/HellGolt