Chapter 35

Talia

They lasted about two songs before they started making out in the middle of the dance floor. Talia couldn't remember the last time she had let herself this loose with anyone. Her moments of reprieve in her dance sessions were nothing compared to dancing with Lucas surrounded by people they didn't know. It was categorically electric. They were free to do whatever they pleased and that was exactly what they did.

Lucas' body had molded against her backside as they moved with the music. His large hand pressed over her stomach, sending heat everywhere. It wasn't long before his erection pressed up against her.

And then somehow they found themselves kissing as if the apocalypse was due any moment. Their hands moved over every part of each other's bodies, pressing and gripping. Their lips and tongues moved together so intensely, that Talia thought her knees would give out at any moment. 

"Okay, I'm ready to go back to the hotel," she said breathlessly as she broke away from his lips.

A hint of pink dusted his cheeks and the freckles that she could stare at all day long came into focus. He nodded before grabbing her hand and leading the way out of the club.

They walked wordlessly back to their hotel. The cool night air provided some relief from the residual heat on Talia's skin. Yet, Talia's heart continued to pump hard in anticipation of what they were about to do.

This day with Lucas was like a dream that she didn't want to wake up from. This warm, sweet, melt-into-the-ground type feeling she had toward him was growing faster by the second. How could it have happened? It wasn't that long ago that she wanted to see Lucas fail a thousand times over. Perhaps it was the new scenery? A new place to assume new identities. She had hated Vegas, but now it was the setting for this game of love they were tiptoeing around. Tonight was their last night there. Who knew if they'd ever get a chance to be this open and carefree? They'd be back in their offices, back to normal life, tomorrow.

They stayed quiet up to Talia's room, hands still interlaced together. Neither seemed to want to break out of this bubble they'd created for themselves.

As soon as Talia opened the door, she took in a deep breath while leading him inside. Something was different between them. Something much deeper and intoxicating, fueling her like she was an addicted gambler at a poker table. She couldn't fold without seeing what the next card held. 

Lucas turned on the lamp, casting a warm, dim glow over the space, before sitting down on the plush, white blanket of her bed and taking his shoes off.

Talia's heart beat harder and the sound traveled up to her ears mingling with the echoes of the club. She'd had sex with Lucas before, but the impending moment in this room felt much more intimate. Maybe it was being completely alone with him. There wasn't the thrill of someone accidentally walking in. It was just her and Lucas, her enemy turned friend turned who the hell knew what.

"Come here," he said gently as they continued to eye each other from across the room.

Talia moved toward him and placed her hands on the sides of his head once she stopped in between his legs. Their lips met in a slow and sensual kiss as Lucas' hands met her waist.

Lava-like heat traveled through her body as she deepened the kiss. All she kept thinking was how much she wanted this man. Not just in the physical sense anymore. She wanted more. Yet, whatever 'more' meant was still elusive, like an impressionistic painting. She could kind of see a recognizable image from the brush strokes, but it wasn't too clear or she needed to squint harder. Whatever it was, Talia was becoming more and more interested in figuring out what the image held.