Chapter 5

I wonder if he knows

Aggressively shifting the gear in my navy blue Porsche Cayenne, I slam on the pedal and speed out of the office building's parking garage.  

If Lucas doesn't know about the CEO position, then there may be a chance he'll quit. But Lucas thrives on challenges even more than my skin with a hyaluronic acid face mask.

The best course of action would be convincing him to quit. It's my best shot. When Lucas and I compete against each other all hell breaks loose. Exhibit A: The internship during my sophomore year at Harvard. 

I grip the steering wheel tighter.

Forcing the thought out of my mind, I glance at my phone for the turn-by-turn directions. I've never heard of La Cucina before. It's probably a new up-and-coming restaurant that Lucas likes to woo his clients with.

As I pull into the parking lot, my gaze shifts back and forth from my phone, which lists I've arrived, to the restaurant in front of me. It's a small, hole-in-the-wall place that's painted bright yellow with a bright pink trim. 'La Cucina Mexican Food' is plastered across the top in many different colors. Did he send me a fake address to mess with me?

No. I spot him. He's just walking in.

I quickly park and make my way inside. The interior of the space is as colorful as the outside and aromas of beef and spices fill my nostrils. The place is mostly packed with customers eating and chatting away happily over the sounds of Latin music. While it's a fun and vibrant atmosphere, there's nothing fun and vibrant about what I'm getting into. Lucas probably chose this place to distract me, but I'm sure as hell not going to let him.

I often pride myself on never getting nervous about anything, but something about what I'm doing is forcing a fluttery feeling in the pit of my stomach. And for some reason, the feeling intensifies when I approach Lucas who's seated in one of the wooden booths facing the door entrance. I'm probably just bracing myself for what I know will be a difficult conversation, similar to how I was earlier with the board.

"Lucas." I slip into the booth across from him.

"Talia." He smiles bitterly and threads his hands together on the light brown wooden table.

"Hola amigos!" A cheery young man with a head of straight, short black hair places a bowl of chips and a smaller bowl of salsa on the table between us. "I'll be right back for your order," he says before moving to another table.

"This place is..." I trail off while briefly looking around. I still can't quite make out what to think of Lucas bringing me here. He's just trying to throw me off my game!

"We can't all live the lux life, Talia. Life's not all about five-star restaurants. Sometimes you just have to enjoy some free chips and salsa and be frugal with your money." Lucas smirks before grabbing a chip, dipping it into the salsa, and popping it into his mouth.