Chapter 33

That sneaky butt!

That sneaky butt!

Amusement flies to my lips as the new building's office floor plan stares back at me from my phone's screen. I shake my head and throw my phone down on the bed in my hotel room. Of course, I should have expected Lucas to mess with me.

In hindsight, having the first pick of an office in the new building was too good to be true. But today makes it difficult to catch things like that. I'm floating like a balloon, untouched by gravity, and unable to have thoughts colored with anything besides rose.

As I continue getting dressed for Tucker's birthday party, I try to think through clever ways to get back at Lucas. Yet the task proves impossible as my mind keeps going back to the amazing day I've been having.

While I would never admit this out loud to anyone, golf turned out to be a lot more fun than expected. We ended up playing the full course, talking about life and just having a good time. By the end of it, my stomach hurt from laughing so hard. Afterwards we had lunch together and talked about what felt like everything under the sun. I learned more about Lucas' family, his upbringing, and about his friends. And I shared similar things with him, including stuff that I don't normally share with anyone. I even confessed how lonely it has felt being President of McAvoy until he came along. We could not stop talking. It's like a dam has exploded and an endless stream of water is now pouring out.

All throughout our conversations today I couldn't get the images of Lucas' biceps bulging each time he took a swing of the club. That man was born to play golf and he looks damn good doing it.

In the late afternoon we forced ourselves to talk through strategy and how to win Tucker over. We have one shot tonight at his birthday party, and we can't go back home having two seasoned professionals fail.

Lucas will focus on relationship-building and I will cite my stats on why crypto is not a good option for Tucker. All we need is five to ten minutes and some quiet area at the party to be able to talk.

A knock at the door pulls me from my thoughts and forces a flutter of activity in my stomach. Lucas' room is just down the hall, and it has only been about an hour since we parted ways to get ready for the party. The thought of seeing him again is spurring way too many pleasant things to happen in my body.

I take a deep breath and take one last look at myself in the mirror. I'm wearing my black corset mini dress that hugs my curves tightly with long mesh sleeves. When I chose the dress I wondered if Lucas would like it, but then quickly chided myself, saying it didn't matter. Yet now, with the immediacy of seeing him again, I'm back to hoping he would. I grab my clutch and open the door. Tingles are already moving up and down my body.

His head draws back and eyes grow wide as he scans my figure. "Holy fuck, Talia."

Heat floods to my cheeks. I push him back and out of my door frame into the hallway, closing the door behind me. He staggers back as his eyes continue to graze my figure, briefly resting on my cleavage.