Day 3: A Little Sparkle

Comenzar desde el principio

"Yes, sir."

He looked her up and down. "You look lovely. Is the dress to your liking?"

She gave another nod, forcing back a smile. It was likely he would never know the effect he had on her.

"And you, Adrien?"

"Yes, Father, it's great."

"Good."

As Gabriel went to the door, Adrien cast a look at her. He seemed to have a question on his mind but his father spoke before he could ask. "We don't want to be late."

Nathalie put a hand on Adrien's shoulder, gesturing for him to go forward.

Like the gentleman he was, Gabriel offered his hand to help her into the car. She could almost fool herself into thinking . . . no, she wouldn't.

Let Gabriel keep believing she was only his assistant, his friend, and nothing more.

It was better for all of them that way.

The gala was flashy, to say the least. Despite all of the glitter on her gown, Nathalie did not stand out. Thank goodness.

Gabriel was not having as easy a time as her; he flinched away from anyone who got close. Before his speech, he was expected to socialize.

With a sympathetic look aimed his way, she said, "You should at least make yourself look approachable, Gabriel. Try to . . . I believe the proper word is 'mingle'."

He sighed. "Perhaps you're right." Though he inched closer to her as yet another guest passed by.

"I can accompany you," she offered.

He looked relieved. "Thank you." When prompted, she took his arm, practically leading him through the crowds.

"Ah, Mr. Agreste!" An unfamiliar man exclaimed. "How wonderful to see you again!"

From the look on his face, Gabriel didn't seem to remember him either. "Yes . . ."

The man looked at her. "And this lovely lady is your-"

"Assistant," Nathalie interrupted before he could get the wrong idea.

"Huh."

"She isn't working right now," Gabriel added. "Hence the wardrobe addition."

The man - who she still didn't know the name of - looked at the gown appreciatively. "Did you design it?"

Gabriel gave a nod.

"You must be some assistant, Miss."

She cleared her throat at the implication in his tone. "Excuse me, but we have many guests to attend to. Good evening." She and Gabriel moved away before he could reply. On their way, they each grabbed a glass of champagne from a server. Nathalie didn't drink -especially in her condition- but it was always important to keep up appearances.

Gabriel exhaled. "I still have no idea who that man was."

For a second, a smile came to Nathalie's face. "Neither do I."

He glanced at her. "If you don't remember then it certainly can't be my fault."

She almost laughed, but a familiar blonde was heading their way. She tightened

her grip on his arm, murmuring, "Audrey Bourgeois."

He frowned.

Nathalie stepped back as Audrey arrived in front of them.

"Always a pleasure, Audrey," Gabriel said, forcing a welcoming expression onto his face.

As they talked - well, as Audrey talked - Nathalie looked around for Adrien. She saw him talking to Kagami. The two seemed close but Adrien looked a bit awkward with any physical contact.

Audrey's eyes were full of disdain as she turned her gaze to Nathalie. "I remember you, from Gabriel's fashion show. Didn't he fire you?"

"I did say that, didn't I . . ." Gabriel murmured to himself. "Audrey, you know how difficult it is to find good employees these days. And I've known Nathalie for years; it wouldn't make sense for me to fire her for one, ah, conversation."

He'd been the one to plan that encounter anyway, all to akumatize Audrey.

Audrey sighed. "I haven't had one good assistant in the past three years. In fact, I've fired five just this week."

Nathalie could only imagine how awful it would be to work for Audrey Bourgeois.

Gabriel smiled tightly.

She was prepared to step in, as she had for the previous conversation, but her head began to spin.

The still-full glass slipped from her fingers. Gabriel managed to catch it before it could shatter and set it on the nearest table. He shifted his hands to rest under her elbows and led her away from Audrey, who'd become distracted with her husband.

"Nathalie?" Gabriel asked quietly, helping her sit in a nearby chair.

"I'm alright." She tried to offer him a smile, like every other time. It was a phrase they both knew was a lie, but nonetheless, both hoped each dizzy spell would be the last.

With her gaze swimming, the sparkles on her dress looked much brighter than before. She pressed her fingertips to her forehead, relieved as the dizziness slowly faded.

Gabriel placed a cup of water in her other hand, kneeling in front of her. If the circumstances were different, she would've prompted him to stand, as they were in public.

With a nod of gratitude, she looked around. Luckily, it seemed no one had noticed the spell.

Nathalie pushed herself to her feet, saying a quick, "I'm fine now," to Gabriel's skeptical look. Similarly, Adrien was watching her with concern in his eyes from across the room. She waved, smiling as he raised his hand in return.

Gabriel almost voiced his annoyance as the music swelled, indicating it was time to dance. And Nathalie knew it wouldn't be long before he was approached and invited to take part. An offer he couldn't refuse.

Despite the fact that she was still recovering, she said, "If you don't want to dance with a stranger, I will dance with you. Unless you'd rather dance with Audrey?"

The look on his face told her his preference. "Yes, if you're up to it, I'd much rather dance with you."

As he took her hand, she didn't try to hide her smile. Neither did Adrien, who watched them from his spot on the other side of the dance floor.