Day 31: (Tear) Stain

"Nathalie?" Adrien stood in her doorway.

"Yes, come in-" She stopped at the sight of his tear-stained face. "Adrien, are you okay?"

He tried for a smile. "Yeah, I'm . . ." Exhaling, he bit his lip. "No, I'm not okay."

She motioned for him to sit next to her. "What's wrong?"

"I . . . are you going to die, Nathalie?"

"What? No, no, I'll be fine!" Even she didn't sound convincing to herself.

"I keep hoping that you're going to get better, but you're not."

She sighed. "I'm going to try my very best to get better, Adrien."

For a moment, he was completely silent. Then he burst into tears. "That's what my mom said too!" he sobbed.

Nathalie took him in her arms. "Oh, Adrien . . ."

"I can't lose you too, Nathalie! You're a part of our family and I love you!"

"I love you too." She smiled sadly, running a hand through his hair.

"And if Dad loses you, he won't be able to recover! I know how much he cares about you; it would destroy him. And then I'll really be alone . . . Why is this happening, Nathalie? Why do you have to be sick too?"

"I don't know." If only she'd known back then how much damage the Miraculous would cause, she never would've put it on. "I'm so sorry, Adrien."

He continued to cry into her chest, shaking.

"You don't deserve this," she whispered.

Adrien eventually calmed down, other than the occasional sniffle, and remained in her arms.

When Gabriel came in, she could tell that he already knew why Adrien was upset. She was ready to reprimand him for not comforting his son, but he sat next to them, pulling both into an embrace.

"We're a family, aren't we, Dad?" Adrien asked quietly.

"Of course. And I'll do everything in my power to keep us together."

"You'll find a way to help Nathalie, right?"

"Yes, no matter what."

She could feel Gabriel's eyes on her. Despite everything, she believed him.

Poor Adrien fell asleep a few minutes later and she felt herself not far behind.

Gabriel held them tighter. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "I wish I'd never put on that cursed brooch in the first place."

He must've thought she was asleep too because he brushed a kiss on her forehead. "What a fool I am. Can you ever forgive me, Nathalie?"

When the first of his tears fell on her face, she felt her remaining resolve crumble.