He must run. Fast. God speed.

"We should get out of here!" He cried out to Wolfram.

They both sprinted toward the flight of stone steps. River frantically descended the stairs down the hill, despite the excruciating slash on his chest, leaving the blood-covered clearing and mourning hound behind in his dust.

River looked to his side and saw that the ship was quite close now. By the time they reached the foot of the hill, Alistairs could manage to come ashore. Hopefully, they could sail away before the next heavenly beast made an appearance.

River caught something in his peripheral vision and froze on his tracks, causing Wolfram to crash on to him with a thud.

A few steps away, a dark cloud of smoke emerged, seemingly out of thin air. It curled around before taking the shape of a long, black creature.

Jinxed it! Fucking jinxed it!

This one was a snake.

Thicker than River's torso, it crawled languidly up the stairs, hissing . Its obsidian scales shimmered iridescently under the sun. It gracefully ascended the winding staircase carved into the hillside, each sinuous movement sending chills down River's spine.

"Don't look it in the eyes!" Wolfram warned.

But venomous gold eyes already held River's cerulean blue gaze captive.

River was faintly aware that he should look away before it was too late. Still, he found that it was impossible to tear his eyes away from those narrow, vertical pupils.

Within seconds, River felt the adrenaline rush that kept him alive so far wash away from his systems. Tranquility took its place, numbing all his pains and sores. His mind quietened down, and it was very hard to keep his eyes open.

Yes, he just needed to give up. Stop running and let the sweet numbness swallow him whole.

Wolfram's panicked voice seemed to be coming from the other side of the ocean. River was faintly aware he was moving . It felt like he was floating away in the sea breeze.

The ground abruptly gave away under his feet, and he was stumbling through the air, falling, falling. River felt weightless and let the gravity be his sole guide on this mad decent. There was no panic , no fear. He felt utterly peaceful.

His body crashed on to a hard surface, and dull pain shot through him. It was not enough to snatch him out of his half-lucid state. He was invincible to pain now.

He felt very cold .

Now he was sinking.

It was hard to breathe.

He no longer felt light and feathery. His body was as heavy as a boulder now, rapidly decending into an unknowing abyss of darkness.

River's lungs burned as his body struggled to draw in air. But there were none. A small voice screamed in his head that he was drowning and that he was going to die.

Sadly, he did not care.

River succumbed to darkness and let himself drown with no struggle.

Author has something to say

Cliffffffhangerrr
Like literally ...

Author apologizes for failing to update yesterday .

Author will try her level best to crank out another chap by tonight because she has plans tomorrow .

Author - * spends whole week doing absolutely nothing, suffers from writter block

Also Author -* goes to lectures on sundays and gets hits with the urge to write

River Verlice

Aithan Alistair

Aithan Alistair

Wolfram - *staring deadpan into the camera with a microphone in hand *
And here ,you can see the endangered River in his natural habitat

River - *falls down the stairs,spilling cereal everywhere *

Wolfram - Natural selection is coming for this specimen .

Prompt from pinterest ..