Ch 2

"Is it true?"

Risei Kotomine stood in his church, looking at the crows that were perched around him. The crows squawked at him, some were violent, others were concerned. It was Risei's duty as overseer to inform when the holy grail war has begun, sending out crows to confirm the summoning of servants. But never before has he heard such news.

"Very well." Risei nodded, dismissing the birds as they flew away. He turned around and stood still, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath. He walked towards his desk and pulled out a sheet of paper before he began to write, sending a message to the masters.
........................................

From the Einzbern castle's window, a single eye watched the movements of a father and daughter below, playing at the entrance of the forest. The man standing at the window was an imposing figure, broader than most men and taller than most. A black cloak covered his body, but let his head remain untouched. A black breast plate adorned his chest, being the only piece of armor he wore, leaving his muscular arms exposed. His left hand was a old metal prosthetic that mimicked a human's. He wore a pair of baggy pants with padded knees and two old boots with some armor that reinforced them. He stood out like a sour thumb the way he was dressed, not fitting in with the modernized castle.

"What are you looking at Berserker?"

The man turned around and saw Irisviel making her way into the room. His single eye narrowed at her presence, making the kind woman slightly whimper, but she did not back down. She was a kind soul with a heart of gold. She was dressed casually, a suitcase in her hand as she sat in on the king sized bed in the room. It was her and Kiritsugu's bedroom after all, she didn't need permission to come inside unannounced. Berserker turned back around, watching his master spend time with his daughter.

"Kiritsugu and your daughter are playing outside."

He sounded doubtful, concerned, and a bit disappointed. Irisviel examined him further after hearing his answer. He wasn't what one imagined when summoning an heroic spirit. He was handsome for sure, but he was rough and didn't stand out and have many in awe of his presence. He wasn't of royal blood from what she could tell, nor had any godly aura surrounding him. The one thing off about him was the odd feeling that brand on the back of his neck gave off. It felt dark.....sinister even. But that mattered not, he was of the Berserker class, the class that could take punishment from many blows. Irisviel walked up to the mirror close enough just to see her husband run into the forest with their daughter chasing him.

"I'm guessing you never really saw something like that before?" Irisviel asked the servant of her husband. Berserker tilted his head at the albino woman, making her giggle before smiling at him. "I mean fathers playing with their children. Did your parents ever play with you?"

"No....." Berserk grumbled as he returned his gaze towards out the window, as if he could look through the forest as well and still see the pair. Irisviel didn't doubt he could, servants were above humans in every way. ".....I just didn't imagine my master had a child. He gave off the impression of a cold-hearted bastard...."

"Well I guess that's a logical conclusion." Irisviel hummed as she made her way to the closet and began taking out some clothes. She remembered her husband's attitude towards the Berserker, who was not King Arthur. "Kiritsugu is a planner and.....well, he didn't really predict you appearing."

He had been hateful in that matter, his plans of summoning the saber servant was ruined and part of him blamed himself for failing in that. Since his summoning, Kiritsugu had not said a single word to the berserker. Ultimately, servants were nothing but tools for their master, and mages treated them as such. He was silent to his servant, ignored his questions, and barley looked at him. Kiritsugu kept pushing away the heroic spirit he himself had summoned. Berserker was not appreciative of his master's attitude. Obviously, the Kiritsugu he met was a different person than the man playing outside.