"Oh, that was nothing..." I don't know how to explain why I was flinging a pan full of burnt food across the yard.

He only nods and starts talking about security protocols and new video surveillance equipment. I start to zone out after a few minutes. I should be listening, this is important, but I can't stay focused.

Victor is funny and personable. He takes his job seriously but it hasn't hardened him or made him uncaring. He is the kind of guy she should be with. Someone who can still have fun, who can still enjoy life.

I truly believe that but even the thought makes me irritated. I know Vic and Maggie have a weird, complicated thing going, maybe he wants to try something uncomplicated, maybe he wants to see where things could lead with someone sweet and good like Josephine. My hands clench and shake slightly.

"So?" He questions.

"So what?"

"Should I order it?"

"Oh, yeah, right... yeah, order whatever you think is best I trust you."

After he leaves I pace around my office. There is no reason for me to go down and check on them. They haven't asked for me. My wolf bristles angrily, itching and burning in my brain. I should probably make some tea to calm my nerves.

Halfway down the hallway, I realize I'm creeping like an intruder, in my own house. After rolling my shoulders back I walk down the hallway toward the kitchen, stopping just outside of the parlor.

I watch them together, huddled on the sofa, looking through a stack of pictures.

"What about the others? The other girls they were holding? Are they safe and being looked after?" She asks, concern in her sweet voice.

"They are safe and doing well, they are with the Grand Elders. Not that it makes it any better necessarily but they weren't able to...um steal from any of you," he tells her and she lets out a shaky breath.

"I wasn't sure how to ask if they had been..." she shudders and fumbles over her words.

They turn their attention back to the photos, looking over the last few. I watch her hunch over, her brows furrowed, studying each picture carefully.

"I'm really sorry, Vic, I don't recognize anyone else," she sighs, disappointment clear in her voice.

"Don't worry about it, you picked one, that's very helpful."

Her delicate shoulders slump and a gnawing, unsettled anger rolls in the pit of my stomach. Seeing her upset is causing a harsh reaction in me and my wolf.

He wraps his arm around her shoulder, "I'm serious, Jo, you gave us confirmation on one more person to look for, that is helpful."

I don't know why I clear my throat loudly, causing them to turn. I want to break his arm to get it off of her shoulder.

"I didn't know you were here, Vic," I grit through my teeth. She won't meet my gaze, instead looking down at the fingers she's knotting together in her lap.

He looks back and forth between us, obviously reading the room. A shit-eating grin spreads over his face and he squeezes her shoulder before dropping his arm.

"We're actually done, I just needed some information," his voice is smug and I clench my fists together. "I'll be in touch, Jo," he places a quick kiss to her cheek and a low, rumbling growl vibrates in my throat.

"Bye, Vic," she almost whispers before brushing past me, practically sprinting down the hallway toward the stairs.

Shit.

"Whatever you did, you fucked up royally, Your Majesty," he snorts before nudging my shoulder on his way down the hall toward my office.

Want more of The Fairytales?  Read 5 completed books in this series, plus get access to over 30 adult romance titles on my Patreon (patreon.com/MyrandaRae) !

Updates weekly: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

--