Session #2

Rose tapped her foot beneath the conference table desk in the Joshi Law Offices and stared at the door, willing it to open so that she and Maya could really get into their side investigation. After a screen call with Owen, the private investigator Maya recommended, wherein they'd learned her mother had a separate banking account from her father that had another name sharing its holdings, they'd xeroxed the documents her brother had given them. Now, they were waiting for Owen to call them back so that they might be able to get some more information on Bex's extramarital affairs and this ridiculous meeting was just another of her side's way of postponing the decision making.

She knew it. Maya knew it. Still, they'd agreed to meet the others on the condition that it happened in Josephine's offices, which as of the end of the day would turn over into Maya's hands. Rose glanced over at her to find her looking over the information given to them by Lucas, whose name she'd kept out of their discussions on the contents, and watched the tiny gestures she made. Something between them had changed on Monday and Maya was acting a bit differently.

She'd always been a somewhat affectionate person, taking Rose's hand when she needed it most and placing her hand on the small of her back when they walked together. However, it was as if it had increased tenfold. It was as if Maya touched her at every occasion possible like she needed the contact in order to function around her. The small gestures and how childish Rose had acted during their conversation on Monday still weighed heavily on her, but if it meant that they could spend more time together, getting to know one another over the course of the case, then she was all for it.

Still, she felt the need to clear some of the air around them after mostly getting better, retaining the detriment to her behavior and realizing how it may have been affecting Maya. "Um, may I say something before they arrive?" At this, Maya lifted her head from the pages and gazed into her eyes with tentative expectancy. "The way I behaved on Monday, what I said and did, it was incredibly selfish and I want to make sure you understand just how sorry I--"

Maya pressed her hand to her mouth and shook her head. "Water under the bridge." She released her mouth, cupping her cheek as she added, "There's no need to apologize."

"Actually, there is." Rose took her hand down from her face and rested it between her own along the tabletop. "First of all, you were simply doing your job and in no way do I want to ruin that for you. I just can't see anyone else handling my case at this point. Secondly, you took me home and took care of me. I should have been more grateful and said as much at the time. Lastly," Rose turned her hand over within hers and gazed down at it with a gulp. "As much as I feel for you, that doesn't excuse how I spoke to you. Especially when you revealed something so personal to me. I truly am sorry."

As soon as the last word left her lips, there was a knock at the double doors and Maya nodded as she removed her hand from hers with a seemingly hopeful grin. "I understand." She longingly looked into her eyes for a moment longer, and then turned her head toward the doors. "Come in."

Gerry opened one of the doors and stepped aside as Gilford entered the room accompanied by Bex and Lisa, but not Lucas. "Hello, Miss Joshi." He nodded his head at Maya and looked over at Rose with a raised eyebrow. "Miss Johnson."

Maya spared her one last side glance, running her eyes along her face with anticipation until she nodded her readiness. "Shall we proceed?" Upon her words, Gilford led the other women into the room and pulled out Bex's chair, leaving Lisa to get her own as he sat down. Rose surmised he knew where his bread was buttered and shot her sister a sympathetic look, finding something she hadn't expected there. Lisa appeared downtrodden, laden down by something unspoken as she kept her eyes firmly pressed to a stack of papers in her hands. Her face was pale and she seemed as though she hadn't eaten or slept in days. As if noticing where Rose's mind and eyes had wondered, Maya leaned along the tabletop and directed her words toward her younger sister. "Are you feeling under the weather? We can move the meeting to tomorrow if you need a good night's rest."