𝟏𝟎. the siren's melody

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

━━ chapter x, the siren's melody  !

━━ chapter x, the siren's melody !

˗ˏˋ we crave what we can't have. 'ˎ˗

The Queen Anne's Revenge responded to Percy's every command. He knew which ropes to hoist, which sails to raise, which direction to steer. He plowed through the waves at what he figured was about ten knots. He even understood how fast that was. For a sailing ship, pretty darn fast. It all felt perfect-the wind in his face, the waves breaking over the prow. But now that they were out of danger, all he could think about was how much he missed Tyson, and how worried he was about Grover and Annabeth. He couldn't get over how badly he messed up on Circe's Island. If it hadn't been for Dyana, he'd still be a rodent, hiding in a hutch with a bunch of cute furry pirates.

He thought about what Circe had said: See, Percy? You've unlocked your true self! He still felt changed. Not just because he had a sudden desire to eat lettuce. He felt jumpy, like the instinct to be a scared little animal was now a part of him. Or maybe it had always been there. That's what really worried him. Him and Dyana sailed through the night. Dyana tried to help him keep lookout, and it seemed like sailing agreed with her.

More than once they spotted monsters. A plume of water as tall as a skyscraper spewed into the moonlight. A row of green spines slithered across the waves-something maybe a hundred feet long, reptilian. Once Percy saw Nereids, the glowing lady spirits of the sea. He tried to wave at them, but they disappeared into the depths, leaving him unsure whether they'd seen him or not.

Sometime after midnight, Dyana came up on deck. We were just passing a smoking volcano island. The sea bubbled and steamed around the shore.

"That looks awfully like a monster lair." Percy thought aloud, looking at Dyana.

"If it is, we should go around." She said.

They steered clear of the island, and soon it was just a red patch of haze behind them. He looked back at Dyana once again.

Dyana had been silent ever since they left Circe's island. She always responded to him, but it was short and quick. Her eyes had long returned to her normal dark brown but it's as if the harsh seas were still there. Perhaps it was everything that Circe told her. She had a brother? The sea princess? To be honest, Percy was curious too. As far as he knew, he was the only living demigod of Poseidon. Tyson isn't a demigod so that didn't count. And Dyana already had a father so it couldn't be Poseidon, right? He wished – he almost prayed to his dad – to not have her as a daughter for Poseidon. He would hate that. He would really hate that.

"You've been... quiet." Percy said to Dyana as they passed the smoking volcano.

Dyana broke away from her thoughts and met eyes with him.