𝟎𝟖. a shore with a spa

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

━━ chapter viii, a shore with a spa !

˗ˏˋ atelphobia; the fear of not being good enough. 'ˎ˗

Dyana woke to alarm bells ringing throughout the ship. The captain's gravelly voice: "All hands on deck! Find Lady Clarisse! Where is that girl?"

Then his ghostly face appeared above her. "Get up, girl. Your friends are already above. We are approaching the entrance. My lady wants you there."

"The entrance?" Dyana asked, still groggy after waking up so abruptly.

He gave her a skeletal smile. "To the Sea of Monsters, girl."

The alarm bells rang again. Dyana heard voices coming toward her, officers yelling orders to ready the cannons. She crept back from the ventilation grate and made her way upstairs to join Percy, Annabeth, and Tyson on the spar deck.

Percy's eyes fell on Dyana and she swore she could scream right then and there. He was looking at her like that again – like she needed protecting. She used to think that was sweet and she learnt to like that about Percy, because he looked at her with kind eyes but now she didn't know if she quite liked it anymore. He looked at her like she was fragile.

Clarisse came up the stairs right after her. She grabbed a pair of binoculars from a zombie officer and peered toward the horizon.

"At last. Captain, full steam ahead!" Commanded the daughter of Ares.

Dyana looked in the same direction as she was, but she couldn't see much. The sky was overcast. The air was hazy and humid, like steam from an iron. If she squinted real hard, I could just make out a couple of dark fuzzy splotches in the distance. She tried to catch the light falling on the water and tried to observe the reflection. From the blurry reflection, they were somewhere off the coast of northern Florida, so they had come a long way overnight, farther than any mortal ship should've been able to travel.

The engine groaned as they increased speed.

Tyson muttered nervously, "Too much strain on the pistons. Not meant for deep water."

After a few more minutes, the dark splotches ahead of us came into focus. Then before the light disappeared from the clouds she caught a glimpse of the reflection map on the water and realized where they were. Chills went up her spine as she realized they were near – too near. They were supposed to go around it and then create a plan to enter it safely, not dive right straight into it.

"Clarisse, we need to turn around." Dyana said.

"No, we're almost there." Clarisse said, rolling her eyes.