House of Yesterday/House of Victory

Start from the beginning

Sarah took her hand gently, looking at the ruby ring. "You cannot lose hope. If you do, the quest is over. Protect them. Cherish them." She pressed a kiss to the ring. "Keep them safe."

~~~

Max jolted away and sat up instantly, eyes widening in horror as tears slid down her cheeks before she even realized they were there.

She covered her mouth to contain her sobs. "No..." She all but whimpered, doing her best to not wake Fabian or Mick.

~~~

"Max, it's time for breakfast." Fabian insisted. But Max wouldn't budge.

"I'm going on ahead, it's election day and I need to be by Mara's side." Mick told him, heading out.

The moment he was gone, Fabian sat down on Max's bed. "Max, what's wrong? You can tell me anything, you know that."

Max let out a small whimper. Her ring had darkened slightly, which worried Fabian even more.

"Please just go away, Fabian..." She pleaded softly.

Fabian was hurt, but hesitantly nodded. "...Okay...I'll bring you some toast or something." He insisted before heading out of the room.

It wasn't long before Trudy came to the room and asked Max to come out so she could speak with her and Nina.

Max didn't have to ask. She...already knew. And by the look on Nina's face, she knew to.

Trudy told them Emily Grant died. And that apparently, she left them each a box of things for them to go get.

Apparently, Sarah had a nephew who had planned a funeral, which Max and Nina were welcomed to attend.

~~~

When they got back to the house, Max went to her own room to be alone to look through what she got.

Inside the box was a very old book, some photos, a handkerchief and a note.

Hesitantly, Max picked up the note and her eyes widened.

Protect the Chosen One.

Sniffling, Max set the not down and looked at the handkerchief. It was old, and a dark grey color. There was nothing particularly special about it, but Max would treasure it always.

The book had a Was-Sceptre on it, the symbol of Seth. Swallowing hard, Max reluctantly began to read it.

It told the tale of Seth, the version Sarah believed in. Seth was a good man who loved his brother dearly and who was prepared to let him and Isis be happy together, but during a party there was a tragic accident and Osiris suffocated, much to Seth's devastation. He pleaded for Osiris to come back, but was denied his wish. But for his brother's sacrifice, he was given the power to prevent death only once, a power sealed into a ring that would eventually be hidden somewhere. Ever since Osiris died, it would seem Seth was cursed, only causing harm and bad luck amongst the land, until finally he was banished.

Max's eyes widened as she fell onto a particular page.

It showed Seth holding the cup of Ankh, and it was glowing.

Before she could question what it meant, the door opened. Max slammed the book shut and hid it, only to see it was Fabian.

"...I just came from Nina's room..." Fabian told her gently.

Max leaned against the bedframe as more tears fell down her cheeks. She shut her eyes tightly and whimpered.

Fabian hesitantly sat down and pulled her into a hug. "...Max...we found something."