"I'm sure that in my inebriated state I thought I was paying you a compliment, I would never have phrased it that way..."

"Oh, you were very complimentary," he smiles smugly.

"Ok, stop making fun of me," a smile tugs at my lips.

"For the sake of honesty, I will say, moonlight suits you, too."

My breath hitches and I jerk my eyes up to meet his. He looks sincere, a soft, easy smile on his face. My cheeks flush and I look down at my plate.

I bite into my slice of pizza and hold back a moan. It's delicious. The sauce is perfectly cooked, flavorful and herbaceous, holding up to the fresh mozzarella. The crust is chewy and soft inside and crispy on the bottom.

"This is so good!" I gush, taking another bite quickly.

"I wasn't sure what you liked, topping-wise, so I went with a classic margherita."

"It's perfect, seriously. Did you make everything? The dough for the crust and the sauce?"

"Yeah, all of it."

"I have a hard time believing that your tart tatin comes out poorly."

He puts his hands up, "I swear it, baking is not my specialty."

We eat in silence for several minutes. Not uncomfortable, but surprisingly serene.

_____

"Look at your apple compared to mine!" I laugh.

"You said pieces of equal size! These are identical!"

"I said equal size to mine! Your pieces will cook through and start to turn to mush before mine are tender."

He grabs a new apple and starts to chop it into pieces that match mine.

"Much better," I tut as I start to melt butter in the skillet. I notice the smile on his face and try to ignore how it makes my heart beat rapidly.

After arranging the apples in the pan in a beautiful pattern and tucking the crust over the top he slides it into the oven.

I pull myself up to sit on the counter, watching as he pops a piece of extra apple into his mouth.

"That night in the greenhouse," he clears his throat, "the book you were reading..."

"Wuthering Heights."

"Right, had you read it before?"

"Several times, it's one of my favorites."

"Really?" He looks surprised, "why?"

"I guess I can't help but feel a connection to Heathcliff... he's an orphan..." I let my voice fade before switching to a different reason. "It's the pain and torture of unfulfilled love, it's what happens when love is wasted, when hearts are broken. It's romantic in a dark, obsessed way..."

His bottom lip is pulled between his thumb and forefinger, listening. I haven't felt so appreciated in a very long time.

When he doesn't answer I tilt my head down, catching his eye line.

"It's my favorite book too, for those reasons," he pulls himself to sit beside me on the counter, "Heathcliff is the victim and the villain, he's cruel and cold but there are also moments that your heart can't help but bleed for him."

I see where he's going with this, the parallels that he is drawing between them.

"You're not the villain, Lincoln, not even close."

He hums and stares down at the floor, "a whole pack died due to my inaction and neglect. If I would have saved them, I would have saved my mate. Now everyone I love is cursed to live without half of their soul."

My heart constricts, aching in my chest. Without thinking I reach out, grasping his hand in mine. As soon as our skin touches my whole body warms. He pulls my hand up from mine and touches my cheek softly, running his thumb over my bottom lip.

I inch myself closer, begging him to kiss me.

His eyes drill into mine, his gaze is so intense that it sends goosebumps over my skin.

Just as quickly as it started, it's over. He jumps down from the counter and walks out of the kitchen without looking back. I can't help but to feel crushed.

Of course, he doesn't want me.

Want more of The Fairytales? Read 5 completed books in this series, plus get access to over 30 adult romance titles on my Patreon (patreon.com/MyrandaRae) !

Updates weekly: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

--