~Chapter 13~

It didn't take me long to pack. Grabbing a backpack to stuff with some clothes. I also found a dagger at the weapons shed, which I thought might come in handy.

Chiron provided Annabeth and me with a canteen of nectar each and a Ziploc bag full of ambrosia squares. He emphasized that we should only use them in emergencies, especially since they could be lethal to mortals. Overdosing would make a half-blood very feverish, and it could be deadly. But I had a strange feeling that I'd be fine, no matter how much ambrosia I ate.

Annabeth brought along her magic Yankees cap, a twelfth-birthday gift from her mom. She also carried a book on famous classical architecture written in Ancient Greek, something to read when boredom struck, and a long bronze knife hidden in her shirt sleeve.

Clarisse had light leather armor on, donning a leather jacket adorned with a boar head on the back and carrying a red backpack. She twirled a silver pen that concealed a spear, it was my spear but I removed it from Atlan and had the Hephestus kids reforge and enchant it into a pen for easy carry. At first, she had been angry when I asked her to join the quest, but after the gift, she forgave me and accepted my offer. The seemingly ordinary pen would transform into a beautiful partisan spear when uncapped. The spear had a connection to explosive greek fire instead of lightning, it was so hard to create and cost alot, but worth it.

We waved goodbye to the other campers, taking one last look at the strawberry fields, the vast ocean, and the familiar Big House. Then, we hiked up Half-Blood Hill toward the tall pine tree that had once been Thalia, the daughter of Zeus.

Chiron awaited us in his wheelchair, and next to him stood the surfer dude. Grover had mentioned he was the camp's head of security, rumored to have eyes all over his body to prevent any surprises. However, today he was dressed in a chauffeur's uniform, so I could only spot extra eyes on his hands, face, and neck.

"This is Argus," Chiron introduced. "He will drive you into the city and, um, well, keep an eye on things."Footsteps approached from behind us. Luke came running up the hill, carrying a pair of basketball shoes.

"Hey!" he panted. "Glad I caught you." Annabeth blushed, her usual reaction when Luke was around.

"I just wanted to say good luck," Luke told me, extending the sneakers, which looked fairly ordinary and even smelled somewhat normal. "And I thought... um, maybe you could use these. Maia!" Suddenly, white bird's wings sprouted from the heels of the sneakers, and I watched as they flapped around before folding back and disappearing.

"Cool shoes," Clarisse commented.

Luke smiled. "These served me well during my quest. A gift from Dad. Of course, I don't use them much these days." His expression turned melancholic.I stared at Luke blankly as I silently took the shoes, I had no plan to ever wear shoes that were cursed.

"Thanks," I replied. With that, Luke said his goodbyes to everyone and ran back toward camp. I completely burned the shoes to ash. whiping the ash off my hand. What should I do about him, let him continue or try and stop him from joining Kronos... questions I hope to have answered before I return.

Argus drove us out of the countryside and into western Long Island. Being on a highway again, with Annabeth and Clarisse sitting next to me, felt strangely normal, like we were just a group of friends carpooling somewhere."So far, so good," I commented, looking out the window. "Ten miles and not a single monster."

Annabeth shot me an irritated look. "It's bad luck to talk that way, Ghost-Fish"

"Just being cautious, anyways remind me again why you avoided me so much after I was claimed?" I asked, staring at some people across the street