I'm just not ridiculous enough

Start from the beginning

My coworker shakes my hand off of himself and sighs heavily. "Hello."

I back away a little, when I notice how close I'm standing to him. "Yeah, hi. Are you alright?"

He's transferring his body weight from one leg to another, as though he's nervous. "Yeah, no, I don't know–" His eyes are looking everywhere except for into mine. "Look, I'm– ...do I not make you uncomfortable..?"

"Not really. You make me curious, if anything." I sigh. "What's wrong?"

He fidgets with his fingers. "Look, I'm... Let's talk tonight, okay?"

"...Fine," I accept. "Then... I'll see you later." I walk away slowly.

He smiles at me.

Well, at least he's not weird anymore.

A bunch of hours pass, and it's time to go home, or in my case, to my coworker's place. I stand up and stretch my back, cracking every single vertebra in the process. It feels so relaxing.

I head to the exit, and my coworker joins me along the way. He doesn't seem as excited as I presumed he'd be.

"Hey, um... would you... um... like to go somewhere else first..? Like, for dinner, or just to have fun... it's my treat..."

I'm feeling generous today. "Is there a place you want to go to?"

"I was thinking of... going hiking, but we were meant to go drinking... so..."

"We don't have to drink if you don't want to."

He chuckles. "Still, we'll have to wear something different from office clothes. I'm not going to wet my suit in river water ever again!"

We laugh. "Then, I'll need a ride." I bump his shoulder.

I'm honestly surprised at how quickly I trusted him. He's a nice guy, after all. Just a little thick headed at times.

He drives to my apartment, without GPS this time. There are a lot of twists and turns, but he seems to have memorised it. We don't talk much on the way.

"I still have the box of chocolates. We could take it to your place–"

My coworker's expression worries momentarily. "Did you not like them?"

"Wha– No, I loved them. I'm just not ridiculous enough to devour a whole box of chocolates in one evening." I pout at his stupidity.

"I'm glad. I bought the best tasting brand I know. At least you're not grumpy now!"

He's cheerful again. It makes me facepalm madly. He's such an airhead.

We get to my place and I shut my front door. "If you could just... wait here, I'll go change."

He nods, and stands at attention. I awkwardly walk backwards to my bedroom and slowly close the door.

I swiftly get myself some clothes, that I've definitely overthinked way too much. I tried to find something comfortable, casual and good looking, but my wardrobe is very limited. I only buy clothes when I really need them.

A few minutes pass, and I come out again, to find my coworker standing in the exact same place, in the exact same pose and with the exact same expression, looking in the exact same spot on the wall across from him.

"We can leave now, I guess." I turn my head, glancing at him uncomfortably from the side.

He releases the stiff position and stares at my clothes... or body.

"I'll grab the box... and we'll go–"

He firmly grabs my arm and squeezes it, as though he wants to crush it. I gasp.

I don't panic, for some reason. Whatever he wants to do, is definitely not going to harm me.

He doesn't do much. He just leans in to my chest, and smells me. It's weird, but... whatever.

"You're different."

"What does that even mean?" I roll my eyes.

"Just..." he releases me, "nevermind."

"No, say it."

"It's not important, forget it!"

"You're really annoying sometimes. Triggering my curiosity and not satisfying me. ...Whatever." I leave, and wait for him to follow me, so I can lock my door.

As we get back to his car, he's acting dull again, as if I hurt his feelings. I probably didn't, though. He likely doesn't even take criticism.